20 Sided Dice Cake

Decorating By maplesweddingcakes Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm by cylstrial

maplesweddingcakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 9

I have a groom who wants me to create a 20 sided di for his cake. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of starting out with a sphere of cake and then add triangle fondant pieces to the outside of that. Help! I'm going crazy!

8 replies
Ballymena Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 9

Go to
http://www.shopwiki.com/search/20-Sided+Die
At least you can see exactly what one looks like.

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #3 of 9

Oh that is a wonderful idea! My hubby's bday is in like five weeks so I would love to do something. I am sorry I don't have any input. I am way too new. But I hope you get some answers. Maybe you can pass on whatever you find!!! Good luck!

StarbucksAddict Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 9

So I got a call from my brother asking me what for this cake. Image attached. I've been running a few ideas through my head how to achieve the shape, but I was wondering if anyone else would have any input. I'm just a little worried, since it is geometric, that the sides will be uneven/not look close enough to being even... My thought is to take a real 20-sided dice, do a few measurements, and have a template of what size/shape the sides are. And start with square cake...
LL

jimandmollie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

I am completely against it but you could always do styrofoam on the bottom half and put the cake as the top half. At least that would take care of the stability issues. Not sure what your views are on faking part of the cake.....

I don't have any advice on the shape. I think the idea of making a pattern to get the sides at least close is a good idea. I hope this one turns out for you. It is a tricky one! icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

I have one of those dice (or is it die?) If you have a scattergories game, that is in there! Maybe that will help you get the angles.

Another idea - I have the wilton sports ball pan, and it had instructions for making a soccer ball with angles. Maybe that would help?

CakesbyMonica Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 9

I know this thread was long ago, but if you need directions, I've done a 20 sided die cake.

cylstrial Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

I have one of those dice (or is it die?) If you have a scattergories game, that is in there! Maybe that will help you get the angles.

That's exactly what I thought! Scatagories!

cylstrial Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

That's exactly what I thought! Scatagories!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%