Another "you Want What?" Story

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 12:50pm by eldag0615

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 23

My friend emails me that her co-worker is looking for someone "who makes cakes on the side" (red flag) to make a Quinenera cake for 400 people. This co-worker and my friend think that people who make cakes on the side will be soooo much cheaper than a bakery.

Anyway, the co-worker wants a HUGE bottom round tier with one smaller round tier on top........to feed 400 people! What?!?! That would be a 5 foot round tier! HAHAHA

So, I had to explain cake sizes and servings and prices.

22 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 23

cake civilians ... they're just so cute to watch! icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 23

LMAO! Debbie you are so funny!!

So what did you tell the lady???

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 23

OMG!!! I just got a mental picture of a giant breast. Imagine it!! Going to your Sweet 16 party with boys and you see a gigantic round bottom with a tiny tier on top. OMG, ITS A GIANT BOOB CAKE!!! Complete with decorated nipple. The boys are gonna LOVE it!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 23

Not cake civilians...cake muggles...icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 23

I got one for you.. I had a lady call me.. She needed 2 wedding cakes for the same weekend. One for a 50th anniversary and then an actual wedding cake. I told her that I charge per serving. She said well we are serving it ourselves. I said no.. I charge per piece of cake mam. She said NO I just wanted a price for each cake. I was like WHAT?? How can I get this through her thick skull!! So, I said well how many people do you need it to feed. She said like 150 for EACH cake. So I gave her a price which must have been WAY over what she was thinking. She said.. well I thought it would be like $150 for both!!!! WHAT??? People are such ding bats! icon_eek.gif Even Walmart would be more then that!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 23

You could make the Guiness Book of World Records!!!! icon_smile.gif

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 23

Some people!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 23

I've had brides ask me, "what if I don't use as many slices as we order .....?" They're not brave enough to finish the question with "..... do we get some money back?" icon_lol.gif

But I tell them, "Since I won't be selling you a partially cut cake from another wedding, I'm sure you can understand how leftover partially cut cake is useless to me. You ordered 100 servings ... I made 100 servings ... whatever is left is yours."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've had brides ask me, "what if I don't use as many slices as we order .....?" They're not brave enough to finish the question with "..... do we get some money back?" icon_lol.gif

But I tell them, "Since I won't be selling you a partially cut cake from another wedding, I'm sure you can understand how leftover partially cut cake is useless to me. You ordered 100 servings ... I made 100 servings ... whatever is left is yours."

Wow. That's an amazing question. That's right up there with the elderly tourist couple who asked me, when I was a teenager working at McDonalds in Rapid City....what they do with Mt Rushmore in the winter.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #11 of 23

ewww.... coould you imagine someone bringing back abc cake!!! what are some people thinking!?! perishable people!!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #12 of 23

we get the same intellectuals at the chain store places. What is fun is when then point out "fill in with customs cake shop" will do this cake for $"fill in way below reasonable" and I want to see the manager. It is unbelievable that people think that all it is only flour, sugar and eggs icon_mad.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

My friend emails me that her co-worker is looking for someone "who makes cakes on the side" (red flag) to make a Quinenera cake for 400 people. This co-worker and my friend think that people who make cakes on the side will be soooo much cheaper than a bakery.

Anyway, the co-worker wants a HUGE bottom round tier with one smaller round tier on top........to feed 400 people! What?!?! That would be a 5 foot round tier! HAHAHA

So, I had to explain cake sizes and servings and prices.

Be prepared for the next e-mail which will read something like this......" We would be honored to have you be "one" of our DD's Godmothers, and since you'll be "one" of her Godmothers, you will donate the cake" icon_biggrin.gif

Don't laugh this has happened to other CC members. Apparently this is part of the tradition. They ask many people to "sponsor" the child, and these people all chip in for the Quincenera celebration. You can be a total stranger, it doesn't matter.

So you're forewarned. Now you'll be prepared to answer.

Good luck!

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #14 of 23

i think people tend to think that even if a cake feed 400 people, because it is only one large tier with a small tier it is gonna be cheaper, i have to explain this concept to poeple all the itme, just because it is not stacked...doesnt mean cheaper it is still the same amount of cake.....

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:49am
post #15 of 23

I love this story, and yes, the Quinceaneras get a lot of "sponsors" or "padrinos".

One giant breast! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

I love this story, and yes, the Quinceaneras get a lot of "sponsors" or "padrinos".

One giant breast! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ROFLMAO...........just spit my tea out on my laptop. Is tea bad for laptops? My God that one just killed me......ONE GIANT BREAST icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh, I love this site, my DH wants to know what's so funny about cakes? If he only knew what we discuss on here. icon_cool.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:19am
post #17 of 23

Well, I don't know my friend's co-worker so I doubt she will ask me to donate the cake. I was just thinking. How does this woman plan on transporting such a HUGE cake. If a 24" , 2 layer round cake serves around 165 (per a website I found) then we are talking a big, big, big round cake for 400! Like the size of a truck tire.HAHAHA

I had another friend ask me what I would charge for cupcakes. The going rate around here is $2.00 per cupcake (no decoration, just frosting). I told her that I would make HER cupcakes for $1.75 each, plain frosting with no decorations. Her next questions.....well, what would you charge for 40 cupcakes? And can I bring you the invitation so you can see what design we want?

Huh....let me see, that would be $1.75 X 40. And the invitation won't be necessary 'cause these are PLAIN, frosted cupcakes.

Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:28am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

Well, I don't know my friend's co-worker so I doubt she will ask me to donate the cake.

Oh, you don't have to know her. The CC member that told this story a while back got a call out of the blue from a total stranger wanting a Quincenera cake. When she quoted her the price, the woman asked her to be one of her DD's Godmothers, and could she donate the cake, since it is an honor to be asked to be a Godmother.

The CC'er was shocked to say the least, and so was I. I guess we shouldn't get shocked at anything nowadays. icon_eek.gif

I have dummies set up in my show area with the #of servings on a card in front of each cake. I can't tell you how many people have looked at the "serves 132" card and then say "How many pieces of cake does this give you?" uummmmmmmmmm 132!!!!!! Idiots! Gotta love em! icon_rolleyes.gif (or at least feel sorry for em)

eldag0615 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:58am
post #19 of 23

I would like to see the stand for that giant breast she wants and the delivery vehicle and how many people would it take to take it from home, to vehicle to venue. Hey, would it fit through your door? icon_biggrin.gif

Years ago, when my mom used to live in Mexico, one lady was making a Quinceanera for her daughter and she went and asked my mom to be the godmother, she only would have to pay for her daughter's gold bracelet! It had to be engraved with the quinceanera's name.
The cherry on the top? She told my mom that if she could not attend the Quinceanera party, that was ok, just send the bracelet and they would send a plate and a piece of cake.

BTW, my parents never made a quinceanera for us, (4 daughters), for exactly the same reason, if you can't afford it, don't do a big party, just celebrate according to your means.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What about the ones that say, "Well, if I change the design is it still the same price?"

"Yes, because you're paying by the slice- amount of people you want to serve"

"what if I change it from separated to stacked tiers?"

"Do you still want to feed 300 people?"

"Yes"

"It's still the same price"

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #21 of 23

I had a lady call me today and ask for a 5-tier wedding cake similar to one I've made in the past.

First of all, she wanted to pick it up rather than me deliver it.....come on here...5-tiers??? How is she going to lift the thing, let alone transport it....

Secondly, she wanted it for $100!!!

Yeah, and I want a new Magnum for $1500!!!

What are people thinking???

Are they thinking???

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #22 of 23

I'm sitting in bed on my laptop and my DH is trying to sleep. I am busting out laughing and waking him up!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!

eldag0615 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:50pm
post #23 of 23

That is the thing, they ARE thinking, but only of their interests, not yours, or mine or anyone else's. They are thinking: I don't care for your time away from your family, or anything else, as long as I get it almost free, why? because MY time is worthy not yours. You get the point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%