Question About Storage

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 10:22am by plbennett_8

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a friend, whose daughter's party is on a Saturday when I will be going out of town. I figure I will bake the cake on Tuesday, ice on Wednesday, and finish up on Thursday. She'll somehow get it on Friday, but how do I assure that the cake is kept as fresh as possible during this time?

I usually use a 75% butter and 25% shortening in my buttercream, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the advice!

6 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 7

I think you're starting way too early. Is this a multi-tiered cake? How much do you have to bake? If you could bake Thursday morning before work, frost after work, and decorate it in the evening that would be best. If there is a lot of bakiing involved, start baking Wednesday night.

I do mainly sheet cakes mostly due on Saturday. I bake Friday mornings before work and stay up Friday nights until they're finished. If I'm swamped, I still bake no more than two days before due date.

But, to answer your storage question, if you have an electric oven, you can store your cakes in your cold oven. Just tape a note over the "on" switch so nobody turns the oven on!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 7

I would put it in the fridge personally. But I live somewhere hot so I never leave anything out, things go moldy instantly.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

I'm with Linda on this one.

I wouldn't start baking that early in the weeek. For any of my Saturday cakes, I bake on Thursday, decorate on Friday, and delivery for Saturday. You dont want to bake to close to delivery, as the cake needs to "settle" before decorating.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 7

One more thing: you want your customer to be able to have the cake fresh for a few days.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #6 of 7

I baked, filled and shapped cake on Wed, decorated on thur, deliveered on Friday fro a Sunday party. Everyone said the cake was still delisiouse even a few days after the party. It was all buttercream.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:22am
post #7 of 7

It depends on what recipe you use... I mainly use variations of the WASC, and it is Better after 3 days. Many people use pretty much the same schedule you are describing...bake Wed, frost Thur. and decorate on Friday for a weekend event. I think that you will be fine. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%