Cake Dummy And Sps System?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm by leah_s

projectqueen Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 6

Can you help figure this out? 8, 10 and 12 are real cake. 14" will be a cake dummy.

I have been using SPS so no center dowel. How does this work with the cake dummy? I assume I don't need to try to force the SPS legs through the dummy but if I don't how does it stay attached and support the rest of the real cake?

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

The 12" will sit directly on the dummy - no support of any kind is needed. The 14" dummy is going to be iced exactly as the rest of the cake. The 12" cake is on a 12" board that will sit directly on top of the 14". The icing will hold it in place. Really, it won't come aparticon_smile.gif If it would make you feel better you can use a long dowel down thru all the tiers to help hold it together. So if each tier is 4" tall that center dowel should be about 16-18" long. It doesn't need to go all the way thru the 14"er - just a couple of inches will do it. You want to leave it a couple of inches above the top tier so you can get a hold of it and pull it out once the cake is set up.

projectqueen Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 6

With the SPS system you can't use a center dowel. That's why I was wanting to know if it would stay without any center dowel. I need to drive it about 1/2 hour with all 4 tiers assembled so I need to know that the bottom dummy tier isn't going anywhere.

Thanks for your reply.

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

Think of the 14" dummy cake as your cake display base, it just happens to be decorated like the cake.

kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah what she ^^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif Often, a center rod is not that much help.....false hopeicon_sad.gif
Having the cake finished the night before delivery so the icing has time to set up is really all you need to hold it in place icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%