How To Keep Fondant From "drying" Out When Putting

Decorating By kjenne08 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 1:01am by kakeladi

kjenne08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjenne08 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I recently made a poker cake and decided to use fondant because it looks great and is so smooth. I used shortening on my hands when rolling to keep it from sticking to my hands. As soon as I was done rolling it, I moved it to the cake. It seemed to just dry out so quickly. I couldn't get it on the cake fast enough! I used the Wilton brand because I am new to using fondant. What did I do wrong? Is it because I used a cheap brand? What can I do to keep my fondant moist and not having little surface cracks in it? My sister want me to make her wedding cake in a few months and I don't want this to happen again. Should I use Satin Ice??? Please help! Thanks!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 2

You said you put the Crisco on your hands? It needs to be spread on the work surface where you are rolling it out and once you spread it very thinly you use a paper towel to lightly wipe it, then roll the fondant on that. Or did you mean the shorting was used as you kneaded it? I have used Wilton fondant and it has never dried out on me like you describe. You mention surface cracks I have never had that happen even when I used Wilton fondant. I really think you should use the Satin Ice OR Patinice(sp?) Easier to handle and tastes bettericon_smile.gif Maybe it's your weather? Is it hot & humid there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%