Free Cakes For Kids ?

Decorating By unigus74 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm by Lady_Phoenix

unigus74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unigus74 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 10

I ran across this site through a WMI message board and wondered if any of you have heard of it. it is called free cakes for kids. They basically donate cakes to kids whos families can not afford a birthday cake. I think it looks like a great program, and am thinking of getting involved.
this is their home page.
http://www.freecakesforkids.com/Home_Page.html

9 replies
karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 10

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing - I am going to see if there is a chapter near the Cincinnati area.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for letting us all know about this! Just a simple gesture like a cake can mean so much to someone who's struggling.

I'm a softie (I cry at Hallmark commercials), but one of my favorite sayings is "To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world."

Let's bake people happy!!! (no, that's not a typo icon_wink.gif )

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

wow. what a great idea. I just emailed them to see if there is anything near me. Thanks for posting!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 10

I would be interested to know the screening process the use to determine who is needy. The website for the contact person closest to me directs to a "This web page does not exist" page.

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 10

I do this all the time, but not through that group.

I volunteer Tuesday and Thursday afternoon with an inner city after school program associated with my church's denomination. I help with homework and basic school skills. Some of the kids live in homeless shelters or in projects and would never have a cake if I didn't bake it for them.

So instead of using a group you aren't familiar with, just ask around your town and you'll find a group that would love to have you baking for them.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 10

I did an inquiry with them earlier in the week for more info on how to set up a chapter in my town.

I hope to hear from them soon.

I know with their latest write up in Guidepost (my mom read about it and called me immediately to tell me to check them out) they are probably swamped with inquiries.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #8 of 10

I looked into getting involved with this right before Christmas! If I remember correctly, they recommend getting connected with a city or county agency near you that would know of needy families.
WIC offices, or city/county shelters. Churches often know of the needy families or even the local food pantry.

I haven't yet gotten everything set up to do this, but I would really like to. I'm certainly not a professional baker, but I do love to bake!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

I heard back from them last last night and their first words were "I've given you to our gal that welcome's everyone and please get me your name and contact info so we can add you as a contact to your site."

I'm sure they were excited over the inquiry but all I asked for was more information not to be added to this blindly.

Before I commit I have a few things I need to do to prepare and I don't want to prepare unless we'll be a good fit to them, and them to us in our business.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 10

I have been active with Free Cakes for Kids for several months. The screening process is up to each person. I was concerned about getting scammed too! I get referrals from the local schools, and bake for a foster care facility located near me. There is no greater reward than the smile you get from a child who has never had their "own" special cake made with their wants and likes in mind. My site for free cakes is at http://cakesforkidskentuckiana.webs.com/index.htm If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%