Constructing A Snack-Cake Cake

Decorating By pinkcamo Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 3:47am by FlourPots

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hey Yall!!!
I hope you can help me out here. All jokes aside, I've been asked to make a snack- cake cake, ya know, with the twinkies, snowballs, ding-dongs etc. Similar to the pics I've attached. This if for a "White Trash Bash, 30th Birthday!" I think I'll make a lil topper from torn corboard off a beer box, that says "Happy 30th Birthday Aaron". It sounds so easy, but how do I "attach" the cakes to the "cake" so they don't fall off? Is there something inside?
Have you ever made one? Do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking of the 1st pic Ive posted, I could do that with maybe beer cans and pizza box tops... whatcha think!?!?
Thanks in advance!!
LL
LL

5 replies
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6

Someone asked me to make that first one for them once, but changed their mind. I think the picture she showed me was from a magazine and I believe the instructions were with it, just using toothpicks and frosting to hold it together, no real cake involved. The second one looks like there are real cakes and they are probably toothpicked or skewered onto it. I don't think I'd trust just icing and stacking around them. Gravity can bite you in the butt with that kind of stuff. Have fun with it!

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 6

I made one using dummy cakes and I frosted it with chocolate butterccream, then attached the snack cakes with a just little extra dab of icing.
LL

pinkcamo Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

Gwen thanks for the reply and a lil instruction! Looks great!

pinkcamo Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 6

B-U-M-P

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #6 of 6

The second cake was made with layers of styrofoam disks according to this: http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/102366.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%