How Do I Form A Tree Cake?

Decorating By mimimountie Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm by tguegirl

mimimountie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimountie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, I'm trying to make a 3 dimensional cake (similar to the Debbie Brown cake) and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some direction. Thanks!!!

14 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 15

Depends on how big you want it..........her directions say to use 10" square cakes and carve away the excess.......i just used 6" rounds for mine (attached) because I didn't need that much cake, mine was 3 layers of 6" x2" rounds. HTH
LL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 15

OMG! That is soooo cute !

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 15

Oh, that is one stunning looking tree cake....thanks for the info on how to make one.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 15

Another great cake KHalstead! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 15

I just recently made a tree cake about 4 weeks ago for my sons 7th birthday. I used 3 "6 in. rounds stacked with buttercream in between. I rolled some fondant pieces and layed them against the cakes to add a trunk shape coming out from the bottom. Then, I made some chocolate Marshmallow fondant and covered the rounds. I made sure to pull it out from the cake towards the bottom to cover the fondant pieces I put underneath. Then you make marks on the tree with a sharp knife. It was so fun and way easier than I thought. I attached a photo to see what I'm talking about. Good luck with yours!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308363.html

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 15

I made one using 2- 6" and 1-8" round pans...carved everything out and used the extra cake for roots. Covered it in butter cream and rolled butter cream. Made all of my animals with rolled butter cream. My family will not eat fondant of any kind. Good luck.
LL

Charmaine49 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 15

BakerzJoy, your cake looks stunning, thanks for the "how to"

rockysmom....yours looks just as stunning!! been reading a lot about rolled buttercream. How does one do that, cause as you say, there are a lot of people out there the minute you mention fondant, they go ugghhh!!
Could you let me know how to make that??

Many thanks!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 15
Charmaine49 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks rockysmom for the link..........I will give this a try in the not too distant future.

mimimountie Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be doing the cake for the middle of March. I'll be sure to post a link to it here!

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

mimimountie Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be doing the cake for the middle of March. I'll be sure to post a link to it here!

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 15

BakerzJoy...........love the idea of the rkt on top to look like leaves........how cool!

mimimountie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks again to all of you for your help. Here is what I came up with using all your advice icon_smile.gif

No one at the shower wanted to cut it and I think half of the guests had left before anyone would let me cut the cake icon_biggrin.gif
LL

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 15

oh, that's beautiful! well-done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%