Silk Ice Fondant

Decorating By Amberdawn1986 Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 11:27pm by MelisDelights84

Amberdawn1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberdawn1986 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 21

Can anyone tell me what this taste like? Does it taste like regular fondant, that leaves a bad taste in your mouth for a week lol, hopefullly it taste better. I have heard of the MMF but it doesnt really fit our needs

20 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 21

Do you mean Satin Ice Fondant?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 21

If you meant Satin Ice, yes, it does taste better than Wilton's fondant.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 21

Satin Ice fondant has a fantastic vanilla aroma and a soft vanilla marshmellow taste. Works well and it doesn't leave a bad taste at all.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 21

I use Satin Ice all the time. My kids love it..I have to hide the container.
Wilton is awful I think it gives fondant a bad name. Try the chocolate Satin Ice tastes like a icon_biggrin.gif tootsie roll

Amberdawn1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberdawn1986 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 21

YEs i ment satin Ice im sorry. Does it hold up well on cakes?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 21

Satin Ice holds up fantastically on cakes. Here on CC it is the most popular commercial brand of fondant, although there are several other brands that people like (just NOT Wilton! Wilton is not fondant, it's tapedshut.gif !) You can refrigerate a cake covered with SI with no ill effects. It is also vegan so that can come in handy too.

I wouldn't worry about its taste or performance; give it a try!

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 21

Oh wow, I like this thread a lot hehehe... I have been using wilton fondant (yugh) and just recently ordered a couple lbs of satin ice from global sugar aart to try it, I totally agree, Love the texture, the smell and of course I pinched off a piece of each color and tasted them mmm much better!

BUT here is my issue, as always$$ I'm just beggining and I can get a 50 % off michaels coupon and get 5 lbs of wilton white fondant for $10! Satin Ice? Got 2 lbs for $9 + shipping (about $12) !! argh Is there a website or place that sells Satin Ice for a more reasonable price?? please tell me someone!! LOL
Sorry for the long post... icon_confused.gif

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #9 of 21

I get my Satin Ice to last longer by mixing it with my MMF. It's easy to handle, and it still has that great vanilla-ee flavor.

Give it a whirl- you might like it!

ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 21

Satin Ice ain't cheap, that is true, but I personally would never use Wilton on a cake, other than for 50/50 gumpaste/fondant figures that are to dry out and not be eaten. That's why I make MMF, and buy Satin Ice only for special needs (like when I needed vegetarian fondant, or something in a dark color). 2lbs of SI for only $12 is not that bad actually; usually with shipping I find it to be around $18, and my local cake supply store carries it but it's $18 full retail, plus tax icon_cry.gif. Is making the fondant completely out of the question? Michele Foster's recipe is excellent.

For something that is going to be all over your cake, I wouldn't use the cr$ppy stuff, it will only hurt your business.

ooh I just read artsywest's post, what a great idea - a good compromise.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinklotusstore

Oh wow, I like this thread a lot hehehe... I have been using wilton fondant (yugh) and just recently ordered a couple lbs of from global sugar aart to try it, I totally agree, Love the texture, the smell and of course I pinched off a piece of each color and tasted them mmm much better!

BUT here is my issue, as always$$ I'm just beggining and I can get a 50 % off michaels coupon and get 5 lbs of wilton white fondant for $10! ? Got 2 lbs for $9 + shipping (about $12) !! argh Is there a website or place that sells for a more reasonable price?? please tell me someone!! LOL
Sorry for the long post... icon_confused.gif

i usually order my Satin Ice from either:

www.cakesbysam.com
or
www.sugarcraft.com

thepinklotusstore Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #12 of 21

OMG, thanks for the encouragement lol I guess the $$ isn't really my only problem,n it's kind of a long story, but me n my family are vegetarians (not vegans though) so gelatin (marshmellows) are out of the question, don't consume them n can't really sell it either...
Sooooo, I've had 3 failed attempts at making my own fondant with veggie gelatin (it works real well to make jello) but the fondant come out with a texture thats impossible to work with! the veggie gel just doesnt do the job at all! So I'm kinda stuck, don't know what to do...I get really frustrated when the homemade fondant is a total waste of time and supplies!! icon_mad.gif

thepinklotusstore Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #13 of 21

Just saw the posts with website suggestions for better prices on satin ice!!! thanks so much gals!! I'm going there now!! LOL thumbs_up.gif
I wish some of them weren't blocked though icon_cry.gif hehehe

ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:36am
post #14 of 21

I don't think being vegetarian makes it a long story. It's pretty simple: you're vegetarian so gelatin/marshmallows won't work, no other explanation needed thumbs_up.gif. K2cakes mentions a recipe that works, in this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603860-html

p.s. technically you should be thanking CC for blocking certain names icon_wink.gif even though that's not why they do it.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #15 of 21

I found Satin Ice at Into the Oven.....about $46.00 for 20 lbs. cheapest I've found.
The shipping is the killer....but it's so worth it.....

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 21

Hahaha, I really don't get the blocking thing, they block some websites and but not others hmm..Oh well

Thanks for the understanding ceshell!! Well most ppl I meet really don't understand thye vegetarian thing..
But It kills me cause I would love 2 be able 2 make marshmellow fondant! So easy n cheap!! And they do have veggie marshmellows believe it or not, but I can't get em around here, it has to be online, they r expensive to begn with and if u add shipping, it end up being cheaper just to get satin ice hahah!

ceshell Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #17 of 21

That's funny, I never even thought of it as being something people wouldn't understand, but I think that's because I live on the west coast, where people will "see" your vegetarianism and "raise" you a "raw food restaurant" LOL. You might want to PM k2cakes from that other thread and ask if she has any tips for getting that stuff to work out. Or just give in and order the S.I. lol.

As for the name that is blocked, it is a looong story with regard to an online company who exhibited some hostile and profoundly unprofessional behavior towards the CC community a while back...I'll leave it at that. I believe it is not blocked out of anger or spite, but rather because the owners of that site do not want their company mentioned here and it's the only way to ensure that doesn't happen.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #18 of 21

I just checked and Global Sugar Art has their fondant on sale as well!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #19 of 21

45.99 for the 20lb tub at globalsugarart and some of the proceeds go right here to keep Cake Central free. It's been this price at Global for months now. So I will buy it there as long as it is that price (to help out the Cake Central site)!

thepinklotusstore Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #20 of 21

hmmm ur lucky ceshell!!! I lived in Fla around many veggie ppl for 7 yrs, but i've recently moved now to NC (my DH is Army) and I recently got a "wow I feel so sorry for u" cause I told them that I was vegetarian when they were talking to me about how much they loved they're fried chicken!!! Well, what they don't know is that when ur vegetarian u HAVE to learn to be a great cook, otherwise ur stuck eating boiled vegetables and salad!! hahahahaha

MelisDelights84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelisDelights84 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 11:27pm
post #21 of 21

ACan you refrigerat satin ice fondant? How long?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%