300 Servings For $500!!!!

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm by aggiechef

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 24

Would anyone do this cake?

Swan theme, 300 servings, not including the top tier, Eggless cake.... for $500.

If so, how would you do it?

Buttercream only?

Simple boarder only

what designs would you include?

23 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 24

NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!

How about they can have it naked and unstacked, not even sure if it is worth doing it that way either.

that's only $1.66 a serving, that is crazy for any cake and an eggless cake is a specialty cake.

aligotmatt Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 24

Nope. No way. no how.

okay, the only way is if it was my brother or something...

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 24

No. No way.

Specialty recipe, increases the price.

I'd be looking at close to $2000.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 24

Wow....sounds like a Walmart referral to me! I don't think they'd do it either though!

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 24

hahahaha.. That's EXACTLY what I thought.

I mean.. I'm a friend but I'm not a dummy. I called my local supermarket bakery, just to do a quick price search.. and they quoted me $457 for 100-150 servings.

And that's nasty supermarket cake.

Sheesh... The nerve of some people...

However, I can't blame her for trying. I guess she was checking to see if I just fell off the turnip truck.

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!

Yeah .... what SHE said!!!

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 24

Oh and get this, it's for an Indian Wedding.

They are usually VERY extravagant.

susanscakecreations Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 24

Uh........NO!!!!!

forthwife Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 24

Haha, that's like people I know telling me they'd like me to make a 3 tier cake for a b-day party then saying "I'll pay for your ingredients!" I'm so happy to say, I'm sorry I'm a home baker and don't sell my cakes. Thanks for thinking of me though!

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokesgirl

Simple boarder only?

I love it when people ask for "something simple"

"Not fancy, just simple"

"It wouldn't be much, it just has a simple lace border"

"Just a simple tiered cake with gumpaste flowers cascading down the side"

"Well, it's just simple little roses around the border and scrollwork?!?"

Acccckkk! icon_biggrin.gif

cuteums Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 24

I don't think you can buy the ingredients for that price. Wow, the nerve of some people. Frankly that is insulting asking for it at that price. I would start at 2K and go from there.

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

Haha, that's like people I know telling me they'd like me to make a 3 tier cake for a b-day party then saying "I'll pay for your ingredients!"

I wish I could remember who first said this, so I could give credit for it ...

When you can get GM to sell me a car for the "cost of the parts", then I'll think about selling a cake for the cost of ingredients.

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 24

Get this... she said that the cake she found was going to be a "4 tier" cake that serves 300 people... that's a collosal cake.

sugarlover Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 24

Uh I don't think. Maybe they can go to Super Walmart for a cake. You can get a 3 tier cake starting at $135. thumbsdown.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 24

Too bad she doesn't live in Omaha, Nebraska. She could find lots of bakers who would do this cake for that amount...or even cheaper. I kid you not. Check out the "Am I really too cheap" thread in the Cake Decorating forum.

Edited to say it's in the "Cake Decorating Business" forum. Oops.

OhMyGanache Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 24

For that price, I might be willing to do sheetcakes ... but wouldn't do any specialty baking (egg free? that's extra!). And that would be IF I did sheetcakes only (I only do them when they are in addition to a tiered cake when the wedding party wants to save a little $$, or they want extra servings but don't want a 5 tier cake) - which I don't.

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #18 of 24

Yeah... and maybe they can get the Walmart Value Dot as a topper. hahahahahahaha

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Too bad she doesn't live in Omaha, Nebraska.

icon_lol.gif You took the thought right out of my brain! Someone call that .75/slice lady!

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

icon_lol.gif You took the thought right out of my brain! Someone call that .75/slice lady!

you know ... years ago, there was a lady in my town who bought her ingredients out of her husband's money .... but kept everything the bride paid her as "her" money. So on a $300 cake, she would tell people that she "made" $300.

Pretty easy to make that kind of profit when you get someone else to pay for the ingredients and to pay for the elec bill and to pay for the gas to delivery it, etc. icon_rolleyes.gif

Betcha that's how she can do it for $0.75/slice.

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #21 of 24

Awww... what a lucky man to have bagged such an industrious little woman! icon_rolleyes.gif

aggiechef Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #22 of 24

This reminds me of something my mom told me about. She had 2 brides come talk to her about a wedding cake. (brides were friends and having a joint wedding reception...don't ask because I sure didn't) Anyway, they wanted this cake that serves almost 400 people, but was fairly simple otherwise. My mom quoted them $1200 total for the cake, which means each bride would've only shelled out $600 for it. That's not bad. Well, evidently they thought that was too expensive, then told my mom that they found someone to do that cake for $300!!! She and I really want to see what this cake turns out looking like, but we won't get too.

That kind of stuff is just irritating. Sorry this is kind of long.

slopokesgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #23 of 24

aggiechef: That is just as bizzare as mine is. I WISH I could see the cake that this bride is getting for $500. A friend of mine is decorating the reception hall for her wedding so I think I'm going to ask her to take a photo for me.

I'm just bustin at the seams to see this ... ahem.. master piece.

On the flip side, I kinda feel sorry for the bride. She's not going to know the conundrum she's in till her special day.

icon_sad.gif

aggiechef Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #24 of 24

Yeah, if my mom knew anyone that was going to be at that reception, she'd ask them to take a picture.
The design that the brides asked for is an old Wilton design. It's the long rectangular cake with a half round in front and back, plus an elevated 8" round on each end with a staircase connecting them. It looked like a lot of work to put together, not to mention the time involved in baking all of the cakes needed.
I told her she was better off not dealing with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%