Need Help First Fondant Cake

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm by kakeladi

MistyNV30 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 10

I wanted to come out of my comfy box and learn how to use fondant. Well I went and got some great fondant stuff. So I was just going to do flowers and so on. Well then my lovely other half wanted me to try a cake with fondant. Okay so I did. My question is how in the world do you get wrinkles out of it. Did I cut it wrong for the cake. The top and the sides came out smooth except in on place. Any help would be great. Here is the picture of the wrinkle and the finish cake for him. I used MMF.

9 replies
MistyNV30 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

Here is the finished pic.

jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 10

that looks great for a first time! It just takes a bit of work smothing the sides. Pull back and smooth again, and again and again. My first cake looked like a brain icon_redface.gif I cover up any tucks if at all possible. Larger border, etc. Just keep smoothing away. Practice and practice. I can't say mine look good but each cake looks better and better.

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 10

It's kind of hard to explain how to get the wrinkles out without showing you. Basically, as soon as you lay the fondant on the cake you start smoothing with your hands. First you smooth out the top, then work your way down the sides.

For the sides, I pick up the fondant from the bottom and kind of lift it away from the cake with my left hand while smoothing it from the top down with my right. The heat from your hand will make the fondant a bit more pliable and it will begin to stretch a little, getting rid of any pleats or wrinkles as you continue to smooth it downward.

Confused yet? icon_lol.gif

Here is the best advice you'll get on CC: Spend the money to get Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD:

This is absolutely the best money you will spend on any "how to" tools.

All of that being said, I think your first time cake looks great! There are no instructions in the world that can substitute for practice, practice and more practice! Just keep at it. It will become intuitive after a little while.

Ldybugamanda Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 10

I am by no means a pro at fondant, as i am just learning as well...but one hint is before u cut the fondant, u have to lift and smooth at each pleat. As you smooth, cup under the cake. Don't pull too much as you smooth otherwise you will tear the cake. I also prefer my hand to the fondant smoother b/c your hands have warmth. Also, the thinner your fondant is, the more likely you are to have wrinkles.

Good Luck and I hope you get lots of tips...I could use them too.

CakeInfatuation Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 10

I watched some tutorials on youtube. It really helped me see how to do it and get the wrinkles out. It was worthwhile to spend a few minutes there.

jguilbeau Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 10

For me putting the cake on a can works (I use my crisco can). This allows the excess to hang some, I trim the excess then start smoothing.

chrissypie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 10

The other thing I realize, although some don't like the idea of it, is to have the cake naked underneath. No frosting. Just brush with a little piping gel or and extremely thin, almost bare crumbcoat to help the fondant stick. If the frosting is too thick, the fondant will look lumpy, bumpy and uneven. Now, some may disagree or be much better at working around this, but I think, along with all the other comments here, that this will also make a difference.

MistyNV30 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thank You for all your help. I will be making another cake sunday and trying it again. My other question is can you use regular chocolate molds with fondant? Everyone on here is great! Thanks again.

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 10

.........can you use regular chocolate molds with fondant.......

Yesicon_smile.gif Sometimes it is a bit hard to get the fondant out of the mold. If it is hard to remove & gets out of shape just dust the mold w/cornstarch &/or p.s. and try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%