Postage Drama (Vent)!

Decorating By loriana Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm by cakesbydina

loriana Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi folks, I thought I would share this email and response with you. I'm over it, but I did think this man's company has the worst customer service after his letter! He basically re-iterated their shipping policy to me. I've read it on their website already but still decided to leave them some feedback. By the way (for the record)... the packet of sourdough starter they sent me was about 2 tbs of dry dust powder in a small envelope, same size as a packet of seeds. Let me know what you think....
-----------------------
My original email:
Hi,

I ordered a packet of "Mister Baker's Sourdough Starter Packet" on approx Feb 10th and received it this week. Thank you. I was, to be frank; disappointed to see that it was sent first class with $1.47 worth of postage for shipping and I was charged $4.46 for what says on my receipt "U.S.P.S first class mail". This is exactly how my packet was shipped but I think that the $2.99 handling charge is a bit much for a small envelope of starter powder. I know you have to purchase the envelope, but the small yellow envelope was very inexpensive... I ship things often.

I thought I would share my dissapointment with the overage for shipping. I would like to say I would recommend you to others but I'm afraid I won't because of your high handling charge. Sincerely, Lisa
---------------
His response:

Greetings from Yankee Harvest Customer Service,

Thank you for your recent INQUIRY about postage and handling charges on our country store products.

Postage is determined by the U.S. Postal Computers based on your zip code and total package weight.

We have no control over those charges based and made by the U.S. Post Office. See your postmaster.

In addition to the postage, each order also includes handling charge as stated on the order section of our web site.
This is the cost and weight of the shipping box for your order, making up your address label and verifying that it is correct. We then go to the warehouse, pull the items you ordered, verify the products against your order packing list, wrap and package the products, properly tape and seal the carton and correctly label it for the next important step. This is only part of the handling by a person process that makes up an order.

Your finished order is then placed on a truck and driven to the postal distribution center. Here we get it logged into the US Postal System. (More Handling) Your shipping box, which contains your finished order, gets weighed, zip code verified, stamped, etc. by a person in the US Postal System, not a machine. The rest of the delivery process is then done by the U.S. Postal Service.

Once a package is placed with the U.S. Postal Service or an authorized carrier, the responsibility for proper and timely delivery, falls upon the U.S. Postal Service or carrier, NOT Yankee Harvest. It is their postal system, not ours. No returns for late delivery will be accepted under any circumstances. Contact your local postmaster or postal authorities for products which you feel are late in delivery.

Yankee Harvest, LLC is not responsible for LATE DELIVERY, loss or damage caused by delays in delivery to wrong addresses, weather conditions, casualty, inability to obtain materials, manufacturer delays, carrier delays, fire, strikes, acts of war or other causes beyond our control.

NOTE: ALL our international orders are shipped via U.S.P.S. AIR PARCEL POST delivery. This is ten (10) to Fourteen (14) business days for delivery ...on average...! Please note that Yankee Harvest, LLC. is not responsible for CUSTOM INSPECTION DELAYS, duties, tariffs, or additional customs charges and delays that can incur when shipping products outside of the United States.

Packages can be insured to most countries, but not to all destinations. Also not all items can be shipped to all countries. Please check with your local postal agent or customs broker before ordering.

I trust that this answers all your questions.

JIM
Customer Service Department
Yankee Harvest, LLC.

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 12

That's a stock answer to a plethora of shipping and handling issues--also sent by a person who gets a wage from the company --which all adds in to the company overhead. If you wanted a personalized answer the handling charges are going to go up some more.

The moral of the story is, order more to justify the costs involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You going to cake club March 10th??

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 12

That's a stock answer to a plethora of shipping and handling issues--also sent by a person who gets a wage from the company --which all adds in to the company overhead. If you wanted a personalized answer the handling charges are going to go up some more.

The moral of the story is, order more to justify the costs involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You going to cake club March 10th??

ladyellam Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 12

It sounds like crap to me! Go to the King Arthur Flour's website and get the starter from there. They've got great customer service and their shipping is quite reasonable. Beware! You could spend A LOT of money there.

Or better yet, send me a pm with your address and I will send you some in the mail with instructions! I've had my starter for about 2 years and it is fantastic!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 12

Y'all must not do much online shipping/shopping.

I mean King Arthur, for a one ounce bottle of tart & sour flavor--the lightest thing I found that sells for $3.95 is $6.50 to ship.

You got a deal, Loriana!

loriana Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 12

Bah! I don't think so still... at least I'm still urked about it. I order very often over the internet. My ebay feedback is like 200... and I order from websites pretty often too.

I guess what pissed me off was the 1) slow shipping 2) extremely light "could-have-been-put-in-a-stamped-envelope" item and then they charged me $4.46 for it. I still think it was way over priced! But... as I told him... I won't recommend them to anyone and now that I have a batch of starter ready to go, I think I'll dry a bit into powder and keep if I ever need again and a little extra to give away. For free. Or at least for $.44 cents worth of shipping to my cakecentral friends icon_lol.gif

dinas27 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 12

and as a baker's story would go...

customer: Hi, I would like to place an order for delivery.
baker: how many cupcakes would you like?
customer: two
baker: you want me to deliver TWO cupcakes?
customer: yes two cupcakes - you say you offer free delivery within 1 mile and $0.50 a mile after that. I'm two miles away so delivery should be $0.50.

baker's new policy: To qualify for any delivery you need a minimum order of XX cupcakes or will be charged a separate handling fee of $XX.

TIME IS MONEY

*assuming you are a store front with cupcakes already made and offer delivery within a certain distance

dinas27 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

I guess what pissed me off was the 1) slow shipping 2) extremely light "could-have-been-put-in-a-stamped-envelope" item and then they charged me $4.46 for it.

How often do they ship 'just' a small packet of starter? Maybe they don't even have that small of envelopes to use. Are they going to go out and buy a box of envelopes just for your order? It takes the same amount of time to receive your order, address the package, take to the post office - and what are they making off your $4.50 order? Maybe $2-3? Hardly enough to pay someones wages to get your packet to you never mind make any money.

ladyellam Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 12

I usually buy large quantities of flour from King Arthur. For 50 pounds of flour I was charged 12.50. I thought it was a pretty good deal. I try and buy at least a couple of items to help defray the cost of shipping.

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 12

I used to manage warehouses (one in Indy and one on the Mexico border). Small packages are very costly to handle and ship. Plus if you order light stuff (i.e. styrofoam), you will pay more for the space it takes up rather than the weight of the item.

Shipping stuff via ebay is not the same as shipping stuff from a large, automated, high volume warehouse, so you can't really compare those apples and mangoes. My warehouse guys could pull and ship a whole skid of an item on their forklift in less time than it took them to get off of their forklike, pull one box from the rack, open the box, pull out one unit, apply a special shipping lable, insert the item in a single envelope (and as someone mentioned above, we didn't keep a lot of those supplies on hand because that's not what we did), etc.

This is why we charge more for our small cakes, than we do for large cakes. Small order cost more.

jen1977 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 12

I've been looking at sourdough starters to purchase online, but refuse to pay the crazy shipping for them. I've tried a few times to start my own, but must not have good recipes. How does everyone else do theirs?

As far as shipping, I just got charged $38 to ship decorated cookies from Ohio, to my sister in Vegas for shower favors thru USPS. The lady said it was because of the size of the box. I got a deal...UPS wanted $49, and couldn't guarantee delivery y Friday...this was Monday!

cakesbydina Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 12

how on earth do you mail cupcakes? Would love to know I need to ship some soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%