Can We Talk About "speed"

Baking By carleen2140 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 4:11pm by tljkids

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 16

I need some advice about my KA and the speed control.

When making NFSC lately I seem to be having trouble mixing the sugar and butter. I usually let the butter set 1 hour at room temp before I use it, but it constantly forms a ball around the flat beater and I am continually scraping the beater. I start off at speed 2, then switch to 4. Is this what you use?
What speed is good to incorporate the flour? I usually try to add a cup of flour mixture at a time The first 3 cups are fine, the fourth cup and the machine starts rumbling, the fifth cup starts to sends war drums signals to Africa, the final cup means the tribes have arrived and there a flour war going on, it's everywhere. The dough looks fine and I can roll it, but toward the bottom of the bowl it looks like it didn't get all mixed.
Any suggestions? TIA

15 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 16

First, unless you actually LIVE in Africa (and I mean the northern part) an hour of thawing isn't long enough. If your butter is wrapping around the paddle, then it's still too cold.

I leave my butter out overnight. Then I'm 100% sure it's room temp. (However, I don't do this in the dead of summer when it's 78 degrees in my house.)

When your machine starts moaning and groaning, it's talking to you. It's saying "Turn up the speed!" icon_smile.gif

If it's spewing flour all over the place, you can do one of two things - throw a towel over the whole thing to confine the clouds; or knead the remaining flour in by hand.

My 1000 watt 7-quart Viking laughs at NFSC dough - which I think is rather rude, but I refuse to get involved. icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 16

I used butter today straight from the grocery store (in a hurry, no time!). I just put it in my KA by itself and let that puppy whip around at high speed for a minute, then added the sugar and let it whip around for a few minutes. Gets it nice and, er, whippy in no time. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 16

Throw the butter in the mocrowave for 15 seconds. Squeeze it, it it isn't soft yet, give it another 10 seconds....this works for me for butter straight out of the fridge! Putting it in there cold can cause strain on your KA motor...not necessarily, but it can!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

When your machine starts moaning and groaning, it's talking to you. It's saying "Turn up the speed!" icon_smile.gif

Really? I thought this meant "Stop! You're killing me! Whatever is in here is too stiff!"

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 16

I leave my butter out for several hours before using it or like another poster said, 15 seconds in the microwave to soften it a bit first.
Also, the towel over the whole KA does wonders to keep the flour from making a cloud in your kitchen! LOL thumbs_up.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

I usually beat the h3ll out of my butter. Sometimes I don't plan ahead when I'm making cookies or frosting, so my butter isn't soft. I pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then just beat it to death. Maybe at speed 6? (I don't pay much attention to such things.) icon_razz.gif It sure is soft at that point.

I also mix the sugar in at a pretty high speed. I get it all nice and fluffy.

As for the flour, I mix it in at a pretty low speed just to try to limit the mess as much as possible. And yes, it gets little strenuous for Dexter (my KA), but he always pulls through for me. Go Dexter, I love you! icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Really? I thought this meant "Stop! You're killing me! Whatever is in here is too stiff!"

That's only when the moaning is accompanied by smoke signals. icon_wink.gif

But, seriously folks, cookie dough is stiff. That's why your mixer has higher speeds. If it's still groaning at top speed, THEN the stuff may be too stiff.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 16

Sorry to sneak in on your post icon_razz.gif , but I just wanted to say thank you for the tips. I'm making cream cheese icing today, and forgot to leave my butter out last night. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Michelle, I LOVE your avatar picture!yummy icon_lol.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 16

For those of us that like to see the stuff in the bowl, I wrap a length of Plastic Wrap around the top of the bowl, making sure it won't get caught in the blade movement. I must be strange, because covering up with a towel made me feel out of control!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 16

OMG Diane that is hysterical. i'll never look at my KA the same way....

Michelle, I LOVE your avatar picture!yummy ....i have to second that!

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

For those of us that like to see the stuff in the bowl, I wrap a length of Plastic Wrap around the top of the bowl, making sure it won't get caught in the blade movement. I must be strange, because covering up with a towel made me feel out of control!

I feel so out of control with the towel over the mixer, too! I'm glad you posted that little tip. Thanks!

Lcubed82 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #13 of 16

The plastic wrap was my backup when I kept forgetting to use another tip I saw:

Get the cheap plastic shower caps (like from a hotel or dollar store) and cut a hole in the center for the blade to spin. Pull the elastic edge over the bowl, and everything should stay inside.

I still don't have the shower caps.....

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

The plastic wrap was my backup when I kept forgetting to use another tip I saw:

Get the cheap plastic shower caps (like from a hotel or dollar store) and cut a hole in the center for the blade to spin. Pull the elastic edge over the bowl, and everything should stay inside.

I still don't have the shower caps.....

This sounds like a great idea, except how do you do this when you are gradually adding the flour?

Lcubed82 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #15 of 16

I stop the mixer, lift the edge, and add a little bit more dry mix. Pop the cover back over the edge, and start mixing again.

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 16

I ordered one of those beater blades that have a little silicone wing attached to the actual beater. This works on my KithchenAid classic model. Also, I use the KitchenAid collar that fits around to top of my bowl. A little flour escapes occasionally but it still works pretty good. I used to have the little unmixed bits at the bottom, too. Between the beater blade and scraping the bowl once or twice, my dough comes out well mixed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%