Almond Extract

Decorating By mamafox Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 1:06am by mamafox

mamafox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafox Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 14

This may be a very stupid questions but here it goes: When using almond extract in icing does any one worry about nut allergies? I use almond extract quite a bit and some one just called for bday cake for a child. She is from my daughters school and i know that a few girls in that class have nut allergies and i am a bit concerned. I could always omit the almond but i just was wondering what every one else new.
Thanks so much!!!

13 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 14

First...........there are NO stupid questions!!! thumbs_up.gif

Anyone with nut allergies should avoid almond extract. It is derived from the almond nut.
I would simply avoid it and use vanilla and other flavors not containing nuts. Better to avoid the allergy issue completely than to risk the problem thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 14

I don't use almond extract for that exact reason. You never know if someone is going to have a reaction. I replace Almond extract with rum extract.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with Tecakes, my son is allergic to nuts, and it really depends on where/who you speak with. If you look at almond extract, it technically doesn't say anything about almond in the ingredients, but I've never wanted to chance it with my son. I only use imitation if I have to use almond...otherwise, I use something different all together.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 14

How about using imitation almond flavor? I think it is derived from peach and/or apricot pits.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 14

When baking for my family, and for my own events, I use pure almond extract. I think it has more flavor.

When baking for friends for THEIR events, I use imitation almond extract because nut allergies frighten me. I use a combination of flavorings in my icing, and I like the almond in the mix...

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I use imitation almond extract because nut allergies frighten me. I use a combination of flavorings in my icing, and I like the almond in the mix...

What she said... icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 14

This is an interesting blog post from the Nut Free Mom about brands of vanilla and almond extracts. The information that she has collected makes me fell a little better about using the flavorings that I do:

http://nut-freemom.blogspot.com/2008/11/nut-free-news-about-vanilla-extract.html

However, manufacturers often change ingredients, so I would always check the labels of every new purchase. And...when in doubt, play it safe.

******Edited to add addendum:*******

In the comments section of this blog post, the Nut Free Mom brings up a good point:

"PLEASE don't use almond extract for nut-allergic people unless you check with your doctor. You never know, it all depends on the brand, etc. Plus, some stone fruits (peaches and apricots, for ex.) are in the almond family and their seeds could possibly affect a nut-allergic person.

This is something to discuss with your medical professional--I can only vouch for vanilla, at this point. Thanks! I don't want anybody getting sick. icon_smile.gif"

So artificial seems to be the way to go!!!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 14

I called McCormick several month ago regarding "Pure Almond Extract". It is NOT a nut product! (Of course call and double check or problems are on your own head.) It is made from the seed of an apricot. The CS lady said it is nut allergy safe, however it is processed in a plant that uses nuts (like every other factory on the face of the earth). So, I don't know about imitation almond extract, but again, according to the CS representative at McCormick it is from an apricot. Crazy, eh?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 14

This is another dumb question, if some children are allergic to even the smell of peanuts, can they be allergic to the smell of almond extract even if it's imitation?

sweetideas Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 14

This is another dumb question, if some children are allergic to even the smell of peanuts, can they be allergic to the smell of almond extract even if it's imitation?

sweetideas Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 14

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 14

Peanut allergies and tree nut allergies aren't the same thing. You can be allergic to both, but it's not a given. I'm allergic to tree nuts and can eat peanuts with no problem Peanuts are legumes...they're not nuts!

As someone with an allergy, if I smelled almond in a cake or icing, I wouldn't eat it, even if I was told it was imitation. For that matter I don't eat a lot of stuff like that if I didn't make it.

Jodie

mamafox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafox Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #14 of 14

Thanks so much for all the input. I think I will stick with vanilla extract. I am going to try the rum extract. I have never used rum extract, but I do like rum! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%