Timing, Timing, Timing!!!! (Looong Vent People) :-(

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:03am by Deb_

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #31 of 40

ditto what everyone here has said but even when i have bake ahead, have my boards and icing ready I still never get to bed before 3am. just seams to take me that long to get all the decos on and then i start coming up with more stuff to do and before i know it the sun's coming up then i pass out on the couch for a hour and a half. i'm hoping i get better with more experience.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #32 of 40

You're definitely not alone. I have so much stuff going on with my kids and work, that I procrastinate the cakes until the last possible moment, which means working through the night.

BUT....I finally kicked myself in the butt for my last cake and actually got it done early the day before it was due. I can't describe the feeling of satisfaction I had!

This thread is actually going to make me get up and look at my calendar for next week. Thanks everyone! SWEETRESULTS....you have a gift...just work on the time issue and you will feel like it's a passion again.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #33 of 40

[quote="JGMB"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Making lists really helps me a lot. I refer back to the list and check things off as I complete them. There's just something about getting things checked off as I go along, that is so rewarding. icon_smile.gif

Something I'm cross-stitching on a pillow: "I always put 'eat chocolate' on my to-do list. That way, I'm always sure to accomplish something."

Oh that's perfect.......love it! icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #34 of 40

I always shoot for having the cake done a day earlier than I need it. So if something goes wrong I'm not up all night (just till one or two).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:

As far as the phone calls and price quotes go. When you return a call, don't feel like you need to quote them the price right then. Take down the info and tell them you'll call them back with the quote or ask for their e-mail address.

Amen! I do nothing by phone. EVERYTHING is documented via email! Conversations are fine but if it's not written down, it doesn't count.

I also do no planning, designing, or final quoting until they make an appt to come in for their sampling. Window shoppers get gen'l info. Serious shoppers get my time and attention. Be polite and nice, of course, but don't turn into an Odie (Garfield's dog friend) where your tongue is dragging the ground as you try to please EVERYONE at all seconds of the day.

Quote:

Making lists really helps me a lot. I refer back to the list and check things off as I complete them. .... It also keeps me focused on what I still need to do.

Since I also do catering, I'd be SO lost without my lists! icon_surprised.gif

I have lists on all of the equipment I need (and this equipment fills the back of my cargo van). Lists of equipment needed .... equipment pulled and staged ... equipment loaded (made THAT mistake a few times!). Lists of all foods that need bought and where I buy them and when I have to place the truck order and when they are bought/delivered. Lists of what foods need packed ... check them off when they ARE packed! (I've had to turn around more than once because of a cooler of fresh veggies that was left in the walk-in, and let's not forget my own nephew's wedding where I set up the two chocolate fountains only to discover the case of chocolate was sitting in my shop 75 miles away!).

My biggest problem? I make my lists ... but I keep losing my notepads! icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

let's not forget my own nephew's wedding where I set up the two chocolate fountains only to discover the case of chocolate was sitting in my shop 75 miles away!). icon_redface.gif

Oh my God, what did you do? I hope there was a Sam's or BJ's around!

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:

Quote:

let's not forget my own nephew's wedding where I set up the two chocolate fountains only to discover the case of chocolate was sitting in my shop 75 miles away!). icon_redface.gif

Oh my God, what did you do? I hope there was a Sam's or BJ's around!

Nope! I just packed up the fountains and left the food items on the table. All I could keep thinking about was "Good thing this isn't a PAYING gig!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #38 of 40
Quote:

Nope! I just packed up the fountains and left the food items on the table. All I could keep thinking about was "Good thing this isn't a PAYING gig!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Good point! The non-paying folk better not complain.

I always fear that I'll forget something important like the cake topper or something I can't replace on the fly. Of course, it would be because my husband forgot to load it into my van. icon_wink.gif

Lists are great as long as you don't forget to write something down.......I hate being OCD about re-reading my lists over and over and over.............. I have "post it" notes all over the place, including my steering wheel, I know......I'm sick icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #39 of 40

sometimes I will pick up some things on the way home, so I put them in the garage refrigerator until the next day, when I'll take it to the shop. So I have to put a note on my van windshield so I wont' forget it! icon_lol.gif

On catering days, my 16 year old HATES it because I walk around repeating things over and over. I'm talking to myself, repeating my lists and it drives her NUTS!

Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #40 of 40

Oh it makes me feel so good to know I'm not the only one that does that!

Tell your daughter she'll understand when she's our age and finds herself doing the same things you did. icon_lol.gif Daughters love it when we tell them they'll be just like us when they grow up icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%