Newbie Here, 2 Questions About Tiered Cakes...

Decorating By MamaMayhem Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 9:51am by MamaMayhem

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 6

When making tiered cakes do you use shallow pans and make 2 separate cakes to stack or use the deep 4inch pans and cut it into to layers?

Also, how do I know how much batter to make for the pans?

Thanks for the help, I'm brand spanking new to all this! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

I use 2 inch pans and bake 2 cakes.Some say the 4 inch pans are a pain...The batter should come to 2/3 of the pan..Wilton has a batter chart in most of their yearbooks...otherwise just eyeball it.Most of us have been at this a long time you just get to know how much batter one mix will make to fill certain pans.HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 6

There are a number of posts on this site that will tell you how much batter for each size.
Don't measure iticon_sad.gif That is sooooooo messy and inaccurateicon_sad.gif If you are using boxed mixes know that one mix is the perfect amount for one 10" round; OR one 8" sq OR one 12x8x2 layer OR (usually) one Wilton shaped pan OR 3 6" rounds.
What Kiddiekakes said is right onicon_smile.gif Fill your pans 2/3rds full and you won't go wrong. Also bake them at 325 degrees.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 6

I always weight the pans to see if I have the same amount of batter in each one. Before I started doing that, one pan always had more than the other. My scale is a simple electronic kitchen scale, measures in pounds and grams.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 6

I have weighed also when it has been extremely important to me that they are even, otherwise I eyeball the 2/3 full. I agree with don't measure. Too messy and surprisingly enough...inaccurate. Weight is the best way to go to be accurate IMO.

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Ladies! You've been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%