Newbie Here, 2 Questions About Tiered Cakes...

Decorating By MamaMayhem Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 9:51am by MamaMayhem

MamaMayhem Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 6

When making tiered cakes do you use shallow pans and make 2 separate cakes to stack or use the deep 4inch pans and cut it into to layers?

Also, how do I know how much batter to make for the pans?

Thanks for the help, I'm brand spanking new to all this! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

I use 2 inch pans and bake 2 cakes.Some say the 4 inch pans are a pain...The batter should come to 2/3 of the pan..Wilton has a batter chart in most of their yearbooks...otherwise just eyeball it.Most of us have been at this a long time you just get to know how much batter one mix will make to fill certain pans.HTH

kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 6

There are a number of posts on this site that will tell you how much batter for each size.
Don't measure iticon_sad.gif That is sooooooo messy and inaccurateicon_sad.gif If you are using boxed mixes know that one mix is the perfect amount for one 10" round; OR one 8" sq OR one 12x8x2 layer OR (usually) one Wilton shaped pan OR 3 6" rounds.
What Kiddiekakes said is right onicon_smile.gif Fill your pans 2/3rds full and you won't go wrong. Also bake them at 325 degrees.

Luvsthedogs Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 6

I always weight the pans to see if I have the same amount of batter in each one. Before I started doing that, one pan always had more than the other. My scale is a simple electronic kitchen scale, measures in pounds and grams.

sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 6

I have weighed also when it has been extremely important to me that they are even, otherwise I eyeball the 2/3 full. I agree with don't measure. Too messy and surprisingly enough...inaccurate. Weight is the best way to go to be accurate IMO.

MamaMayhem Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Ladies! You've been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%