...make My Own Moulds/ Find Little Soldiers?

Decorating By SamyX Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm by SamyX

SamyX Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 3

Newbie both here and to the wonderful world of cake decorating, but I thought that if anyone could help me it was this place. icon_smile.gif

My little brother graduates this June and I was planning on making him a three layered cake where the top layer is a replica of the classical Swedish graduation hat. But today came the draft order for a highly coveted position in the army, which he will leave for about a month after graduation, and of course now I want to incorporate that in to the theme...

My first thought was making the bottom layer either army green or camouflage and arrange a couple of classic plastic toy soldiers on it, but I'm not a fan of using non eatable decorations when at all possible to avoid. So I wondered if anyone knows how I could make my own moulds from those little toys and use for some sort of sugarpaste? Preferably a not too expensive method since I'm a student myself. icon_razz.gif

Of course, if anyone has any tips about ready made decoration with an army theme or any other decorating ideas, that would be more than welcome too.

2 replies
karateka Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 3

You can make your own molds, and it's not that expensive. Buy some of this putty: http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/

I used it to make a mold of a pin for a civil war hat. It's easy as pie to use. You can fill your mold with chocolate or gumpaste/fondant, whatever.

SamyX Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much, that's perfect. Anything food grade I found over here would have set me back around 100$...

Quote by @%username% on %date%