Pastillage Anyone?

Decorating By littlecake Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm by alwayscake

littlecake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 5

I think I'm gonna try working with this next week....for some of the accent pieces, like curley q's.....i've been having trouble with fondant breaking.

i've been looking at some articles about it...it's amazing what it can be used for....i love new stuff/.....SO EXCITING!

i suppose you could use it for the turrets on castles too.

any advice from seasoned pros?

i wonder if you could cut it with a scroll saw after it dries?...i'm pretty deft with a scroll saw. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

4 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 5

I love working with pastillage. It's very interesting in how it can be either smooth or very rough very quickly. Large smooth pieces sound like china when they break. I found out about this the hard way. icon_smile.gif

Yes, once it is completely dry, it can be cut with a saw. I used a band saw since I don't have a scroll saw. It can also be sanded. It is extremely fragile though, so when you use the saw be sure that the piece is fully supported.

Please post pictures of your pastillage work. I would love to see it!

Michele

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

I love pastillage!

The only drawbacks are that you must work with it very quickly, because the surface dries so fast, and that it will curl on you if you don't keep turning it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LisaR64 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 5

I love it too. I found it to be very fragile for the first couple days, but once it is completely dry, it's really strong.

alwayscake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, I love it. I have used it for the castle's turret and wall.
Also as a plaque (sp?) to hold my fondant pieces before putting them on the top of the cake, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%