Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By cakejunkie Updated 19 Sep 2015 , 2:06am by MBalaska

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to use rolled buttercream? Also, I was wondering how it tastes vs. fondant or mmf. If it has a nice flavor and texture I might be able to get over my fear of covering cakes with anything besides buttercream icon_lol.gif !!

6 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 7

Rolled buttercream is delicious, but hard to work with for cakes. My experience is that it tears pretty easy. I think it's perfect for putting on cookies though! The one cake that I tried to cover in RBC (before I knew there was a difference between that and fondant!!!) was an absolute nightmare. But, it does taste great!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

Rolled buttercream is delicious, but hard to work with for cakes. My experience is that it tears pretty easy. I think it's perfect for putting on cookies though! The one cake that I tried to cover in RBC (before I knew there was a difference between that and fondant!!!) was an absolute nightmare. But, it does taste great!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 9:53am
post #4 of 7

cakeexperts -- i'd feel better if you posted your rolled buttercream nightmare picture/recipe here -- i'm leery of clicking on links by brand new people with only two posts that both direct people to their sites/places -- and the first one was a little off where you posted about your strawberry cake while the post was about converting chocolate icing to vanilla -- thanks

i love great ideas though -- please share

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 12:40am
post #5 of 7

I've made rolled bc a time or two, and I really like the taste compared to fondant. It also looks shinier than fondant. As said above it does tear more easily and I found that heavily colored pieces next to white pieces had a tendency to bleed over time which is bad for business - main reason I don't use it often. This doll is covered in rolled bc.

55fcaf052770d.jpeg

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

I find rolled buttercream tooth achingly sweet, gritty, and greasy. 

I've used it for cut out accents--dots--and for covering half-sphere ornament cakes.  I could see using it on simple shaped cookies.

The only real benefit with it I've ever found is that it is self-healing with the heat of your hand.  It has no natural "stretch" and to get it to work on larger pieces, I've needed to roll it between parchment and refrigerate it before application.  Too much trouble for me.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 2:06am
post #7 of 7

@maybenot  see's it exactly as I do.  Homemade marshmallow fondant is an inexpensive, easy, tasty, & more  versatile option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%