Transporting A Cake To Another State

Decorating By lendler Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 12:48am by kakeladi

lendler Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 4

I have a friend who lives in Atlanta and she wants me to do her wedding cake in May. Since I live in Orlando, how do I go about transporting this to Atlanta? I would want to drive, so do I do all the decorating the day before and how do I go about refrigerating it? Please advise, I've never done anything like this before.

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

How many miles or hours will the trip be?
Do you have a van or SUV? Does it have AC? It should be do-able w/some thought.

lendler Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 4

It would take about 7-8hrs. I was going to cover the cake in fondant. So I can refrigerate before I leave, than refrigerate it when I get their?

kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #4 of 4

It depends on the weather that time of yr.
What size will it be? What style? you could just make up all the components and put it together once you arrive at the venue.
That way you could box each tier of cake.
Put down the non-skid stuff under each box - in fact, put a small piece in the bottom of each box and then under each box.
Take decos packed separately - like if they are gp roses packed w/lots of tissue paper.
Unless it is very hot & humid it won't even need to be frig'd. And if you are taking it separately freeze each tier. It will thaw in just a couple of hrs but it helps if it is cold, cold to start with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%