Price To Charge For This??

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm by live2create

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 8

I have some one who wants a wedding cake for this August. They want it the same as one I did for a friend of theirs except they want it a dummy cake with just the top 6 inch cake for cutting. what should I charge for this, I charged $325 for the real cake that I did.
LL

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 8

About $250 plus the cost of the 6" tier. Soooooo, what are they serving the guests? Sheet cake from the grocery?

sgirvan Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the reply - that is roughly the price I was thinking of as well. I thought that if they were to get the sheet cake through me then I would throw in the 6 inch for the top.
Thanks for the help thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 8

Hold on. Whaddayamean IF they get the sheet cake from me? Noooooooooo, dont' even think like that.

Picture this:

150 guests are sitting at the reception,looking at the beautiful cake that everyone knows came from you. Then it's whisked away for "cutting." Out comes dry crappy cake from no name grocery. Now 150 people think you made that.

Your biz is pretty much destroyed.

Never, ever, for any reason supply a display cake if you are not also doing the "real" cake.

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 8

That is a really good point!!!! I went to my Niece's birthday party and they had purchased a grocery store cake and man alive that cake was dry as a bone!!! All the kids and parents ate it, I only had one bite and I was DONE, my 3 year old daughter asked if she could have the rest of mine, grant it she only eats the whipped topping, but I could care less, I knew I was not going to eat any more of it, it was really bad, my Husband, who is burnt out on cake said I am not a pro, but I cannnot even eat the rest of that, he said this cake is terrible, I almost fell over when he said that, he eats anything.

I understand if you want to cut them a deal, whether it is a family member or friend, but I agree, do not make your cake and then let them purchase a store bought cake, then risk some guests getting a really awesome piece of cake and then others get a dry piece of cake. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best!!!! You deserve FULL credit for your hard work. Best Wishes, Veronica

sgirvan Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 8

icon_redface.gif I totally didn't even think about that......... I will mention this too them for sure that if they want me to do the cake at all then I need to be the one doing the sheet cake also.... good point thumbs_up.gif

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 8

This may be a silly question, but...If you charged $350 for the other cake you did and you were going to charge them $250 plus the cost of the 6" cake, why are they bothering with sheet cakes at all? I doesn't sound like they are saving themselves any money doing that.
But, I also agree, I would NOT make a "display" cake while they were serving grocery store sheet cake.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 8

Help me understand, why do they want sheet cakes ? Why would they not want this beautiful cake to be used as serving peices to the guest. Isn't this a lot of extra work. If I was getting paid for it fine. But like I asked what it the point of doing the dummy cakes when it all could be used for guest, Just wondering

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%