Box Mixes/ Scratch

Baking By Creative_chika Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:39am by miss-tiff

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 12

I'm a bit curious... What is the difference? Which one taste better? Which one do you prefer?

Thanks for answering...

11 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 12

i myself feel more comfortable with the consistancy of box, but i use the extender recipies to give it a more scratch taste-does that make sense? i don't want to waste time and ingredients making cakes that might not turn out or taste right

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 12

scratch is better. thumbs_up.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 12

Personally, I swear by doctored box cakes - they are so moist and
DEE-LI-CIOUS!!! Always receive compliments.

Here are a few forums I found on this topic, which may help give you some ideas....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-617596-0-days0-orderasc-.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-618475-0-days0-orderasc-.html

A popular doctored recipe is WASC (white almond sour cream) cake - amazing!! I tend to pair this with a raspberry (seedles) buttercream.
In fact, this sounds good right now... I'll be right back, as I am heading out to the kitchen to whip 'me up' some cake!!!

HTH!
~Jaime

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 12

I usually bake from scratch, and really only care for scratch cakes. On the other hand I made WASC cake the other day and he (hubby) is now eating it for breakfast. The kids like scratch better, but haven't turned down either yet. Mixes are way faster, but I can't stand the smell/taste of them. It's a personal preference.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 12

I don't have the time or the storage space to deal w/scratch, boxes w/doctoring (and some w/o) are fine. It's all a matter of what you want to do. My neighbor is all about scratch and bully for her. I don't care for the fact she CONSTANTLY slams using box mixes. She knows I do and she swears she understands and then she says "oh but you are more about the exterior, you don't care about the flavor"...?!?! Um, yes I do.
I use boxes - I am not embarrassed to say - someday I hope to have time to experiment w/scratch someday, but right now is not the time.
Good luck whichever you use, and you can always try the other.
Cheers!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 12

This has been discussed till everyone is blue in the face as the old saying goes. There must be 20 threads on it.

I'm a scratch baker and I swear I can taste all the chemicals in box cakes.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 12

yes, try them both and then you can make up your own mind... i do both.. i have eaten some dry from scratch wedding cakes.. i guess the people that made them, don,t know .. since they aren,t eating them.. so we all like what we like.. when i know that some of your top .. high class decorators... use box mixes.. then i say it is ok for me to use them to if i want to... they are making high dollar cakes ..

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 12

I will have to say I prefer doctored mixes for white cake, like scratch for chocolate, carrot, i would love to find a great scratch white cake but haven't found one yet. I take pride in my baking, and get so discouraged trying to make a good white cake, I'll keep trying though.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #10 of 12

Thanks for answering. I also get very extremly discouraged with white cakes! I try making them fromm scratch but it doesnt taste good. And then the box mix taste like box mix!!!!! GRRRR....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #11 of 12

Scratch thumbs_up.gif Why?............decadent, moist, delicious!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

This has been discussed till everyone is blue in the face as the old saying goes. There must be 20 threads on it.

When I saw the topic, I thought, "Oh dear!" because this is one of those touchy subjects (other scary topics seem to include what to do with warm cakes, freezing, and buying frosting)...

Personally I grew up eating Betty Crocker cake mix cakes, so there's a nostalgia factor in there. I like a lot of doctored cake mixes, and I like to be able to say a cake was made from scratch, too. What can I say, I'm a fence-sitter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%