I Need Help!!

Lounge By Stellarcakes Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm by Stellarcakes

Stellarcakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 12

I need a job!! I am a hairstylist but I really want to open a cupcakery one day! We are really slow at work and I am in need of a 2nd job...I really would love to find a bakery that is hiring...Does anybody know where I should start or of anybody that is hiring right now?

11 replies
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 12

Where to start? Yellow pages...call them, lol.

You may have a hard time finding one that is hiring right now, since this is normally a slow time. But, it won't hurt to try and you may get lucky. Good luck!

Stellarcakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 12

K...that's what I had in mind lol...everything is slow right now hardly anyone is hiring.

cakelady31 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 12

if it even comes down to it, try looking at supermarket bake shops. i know its not ordeal, but it is a starting place and can help getting your foot in the door.

Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 12

stellarcakes........I too am a hairstylist, I own my own salon and thank goodness so far the economy hasn't hit me.

I get calls all the time from nursing/assisted living homes in my area asking if we would be willing to go to their facilities and do their resident's hair. Most of these people cannot get out and it is a real help to them to have a hairdresser come to them.

Maybe you could try to do a "Mobile Hairstylist" side business. As long as you are licensed and insured you can do it. You could also target people that are home bound.

In our field the only way to make the big $$ is to be self-employed. You simply can't give 40 - 50% of your earnings to your boss every week and get ahead. shhh.gif Don't tell my employees I said that, but it's true. There is a lot of money to be made in our field, you just have to take the plunge and be your own boss.

Just think about how many cupcakes it takes and how long it takes to make them, just to make $50. You could do 1 30 min haircut for that same amount of money.

Good luck, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you. I'm in MA, actually my salon is in RI, but I've been in the business since 1983.

Stellarcakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 12

dkelly-- thanks for the encouragement! I am on commission at my salon. I do not have enough clientele yet to be booth rental. I want to be but don't have the financial ability to yet.
I have always wanted to have a business (well..I have to many ideas in my head lol) where I did house calls. I think that would be really cool. But, seeing as I live in Tn I really think it is against state board. Making house calls would be a bit more expensive but everybody i have always talked to about it loved the idea. I know I could always try and get around state board and just do it by word of mouth and not advertise in the public eye.... anyways what is your thoughts on all of this?

Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 12

Well, in Rhode Island you need to have worked at a Salon for at least 4 years before you can start your own business. I know it's different in every state but they allow home service as long as you carry liability insurance.

I would look at your Board of Health's Hairdressing website and see what the requirements are for going into someone's home or into a nursing home. I'm pretty sure they'll require you to carry insurance, but it's not that expensive, I pay under $200 a yr for mine. Even if they don't require it, I think it's a good idea to have it anyway.

How long have you worked at your current job? When you say you rent your booth, do you pay a flat rate or is it based on your weekly intake?

Stellarcakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #8 of 12

Yea, I will have to look into it again but I am pretty sure you can't go house to house. But, I have heard of people doing that ya know. I know here you don't have to have time on job before you start your own business. I have been at this salon for almost 9 months..I have worked at several in the past. I have been a licensed Master Barber for almost 2 1/2 years!

I am actually on commission which I get 60% and she takes 40%. But once I build my clientele up and get to the point where i can pay booth rent then I will switch over. And booth rent is $150 a week that's about average here!

Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #9 of 12

60% is actually a pretty good commission if she buys the products and does the towels and stuff.

I would try to get your name out to people who may need a service in their home, but can't get out. Also, something I do is I offer Bridal Party packages in which instead of the bride and bridesmaids coming into the salon on the day of the wedding, we go to her house and do their hair, makeup and mani's/pedi's. I take one other stylist with me.

Depending on how many services they want, you can walk out of there with about $500 for a few hours work, and usually they're simple up-dos, polish changes and quick make-up. We charge $100 per person, and if the bride is a regular customer of mine, I give her a discount. (Usually I'm also making her cake too.) icon_biggrin.gif

As I said before, there are a lot of ways to make money when you're a hairstylist, you just have to be creative. If you like doing hair I would recommend that you try to boost your income that way first before you get into the cupcake shoppe thing. Go with what you know and are trained in first, then you can always try something new once you're earning a comfortable income to finance the 2nd business.

That's what I did. I baked as a hobby for over 20 yrs before I got licensed and started to really build my baking business. I made sure I was solid financially first and the way I did that was to build up my Salon.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Stellarcakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you for all the input! I am actually helping plan a bridal show here so I will eb in that and have my own booth. I am a certified make-up artist and so is my sister so we have a little business on the side. We work with my brother and sil...they are photographers so if they hear anything they refer us. And then I am also referred by one of my friends who is a wedding planner. So really I am just waiting for my business to take off lol...I can do alot of advertising unless it's free lol.

But I just pray that my business picks up soon!!!

Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 12

Oh it will pick up. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. The photographer and wedding planner leads will bring in a lot of business once your name gets out there.

I've always found that "word of mouth" advertising is the best way to get new business. I mean people are walking advertisement for our work, not many businesses get that kind of free advertising. Every time we do a haircut or foil someone's hair, it's free advertisement for our work.

I know it's hard sometimes to be patient, but it takes a few years to build up a good solid clientele.

It will happen, you're on the right track.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Stellarcakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%