Business By yelle66 Updated 2 Oct 2013 , 3:07am by cmalin3

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm stunned.

And not in a good way.

It's just the reality of Omaha. We have a lot of well-to-do people in town (Warren Buffet is just the most visible), but they didn't get that way by spending their money!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #32 of 56

That's not to say that no one will pay it, though. I had someone just a few weeks ago who I charged $5 a serving for a 3D cake b/c it was very involved and a LOT of work and they paid it. I think its just a matter of dealing with the right people. So, what is the verdict? Raise my prices or keep them the same?

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

That's not to say that no one will pay it, though. I had someone just a few weeks ago who I charged $5 a serving for a 3D cake b/c it was very involved and a LOT of work and they paid it. I think its just a matter of dealing with the right people. So, what is the verdict? Raise my prices or keep them the same?

Charge what your gut is telling you. You know what you'll be happy accepting, and if you charge less, you'll start to feel taken advantage of.

yelle66 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #34 of 56

I guess my gut says to keep them where they are at right now and have that be the starting price and charge more as needed.

Danielle

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm stunned.

And not in a good way.

WOW! Same here. $0.75 why even get out of bed?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #36 of 56

I just thought I would tell you that I really like your website. It's so nice!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I just thought I would tell you that I really like your website. It's so nice!

I agree! It's really modern and fun. Am I going out on a limb assuming that the other cheap-o decorators in town do not have websites?

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

"I just checked out your site and I noticed on the welcome page you have a typo (shopes).

I know that the fees depend upon the area as well. Cakes went for a lot more when I lived on the east coast then when I lived in the mid west.

With ref to spelling shops can be spelled in many ways depending upon which grammar rules you are using american or brittish. I find "shoppes" to be the nicer of all of them.

Good luck

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

I guess my gut says to keep them where they are at right now and have that be the starting price and charge more as needed.

Danielle

I checked out your website, too. Lovely! I noticed you don't charge extra for fillings, except for ganache?I would definitely, definitely change that! A lady I know who used to do cakes in Omaha always charged an additional 25 cents per serving for fillings, and had no complaints. And that was about 10 years ago.

yelle66 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #40 of 56

Chiara, I think that was what he was going for, but I felt like I wasn't comparing my stuff to shoppes. I was comparing my stuff to shops. KWIM? icon_wink.gif Not comparing anything to shopes, though.

Danielle

yelle66 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #41 of 56

From what I could tell, most of the shops did not have a website. A few do and those are the ones that charge $1.75 a slice. One of them that was even in the paper has a blog with st-... er...pictures that aren't hers (think Martha Stewart Magazine pictures). Like I said, there is the one that charges $3 a slice, but she also says she has something like 30 years experience. That's what I'm working with here. The local shops are the kind that turn out a jillion cakes a day and neither of them have definitive wedding pricing on their page but their birthday cakes are cheap in my opinion (again, not scratch, no fondant or other specialty things). <<<BTW, I'm not bashing these shops. They obviously get a lot of business, they just want to do something that I don't.

Oh, and thank you for the comments on my page. Its new and my mom told me last week that she didn't like it b/c she couldn't figure it out (sidenote, it took me an hour to help her navigate facebook icon_wink.gif

Danielle

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #42 of 56

Sounds to me like you can carve out a little niche for yourself within the cake market since you want to do something completely different from these other bakeries. Just a thought.

Perhaps if you marketed yourself as the "trendy" cake designer that could help with bringing in a younger clientele. I don't know anything about what sells in Omaha, but in Dallas most brides want trendy, young and fun.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #44 of 56

That is about what I think I will be able to charge , but there are no other places that do fondant around here. I honestly think you can charge more being that other people arent alot less than you, but we have a woman who only charges 1.75 p/s for buttercream.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #45 of 56

oh and by the way, your cakes look great.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #46 of 56

This doesn't help - everyone wants to be a do-it-yourselfer!

Okay, I use the "why pay $94 an hour for the dealer to fix my car when I can fix it myself" way of thinking (I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I'm sorta qualified), but there are certain things that should be left to the pros. Cake is not just cake - it's edible art!

If you read the article you can see it's literally a recipe for disaster. I know there was a comment about "bake a cake and slap some frosting on it" somewhere in this forum...sounds like this is how to do it!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2182649_wedding-cake-less.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art[/i]

cmalin3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #47 of 56

Another one....

http://www.ehow.com/how_2030424_save-money-cake.html

I couldn't decide whether to giggle my butt off or act insulted! icon_confused.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:56am
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalin3

Okay, I use the "why pay $94 an hour for the dealer to fix my car when I can fix it myself" way of thinking (I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I'm sorta qualified), but there are certain things that should be left to the pros. Cake is not just cake - it's edible art!

If you read the article you can see it's literally a recipe for disaster. I know there was a comment about "bake a cake and slap some frosting on it" somewhere in this forum...sounds like this is how to do it!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2182649_wedding-cake-less.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art[/i]

Lovely! Not once did the "instructor" mention doweling the cake. Just stack the cakes and ice. Hmmm...three tiers of cake with no support. Yeah, that'll work!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalin3

Lovely! Not once did the "instructor" mention doweling the cake. Just stack the cakes and ice. Hmmm...three tiers of cake with no support. Yeah, that'll work!

There's a ridiculous number of typos also. I wouldn't read past the first sentence if I was seriously trying to find the correct way to bake a cake. I would wonder what else could be wrong with the directions, or missing, like you said, the supports. I think anyone can write those articles, or at least it seems like anyone can.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #50 of 56

UGH- each time we click on those dumb ehow articles someone gets paid. I think I should write one with the cake "truth".

yelle66 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #51 of 56

Gemini, that was exactly what I said. I told DH, now this poor bride is going to have all these decorating supplies that she supposedly got for under $100 and a cake that is falling over.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Some people can't afford me ... and that's ok.

If you put a small value upon youself, rest assured that the world will
not raise your price.   
--- Unknown

Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards, and living up to them, is a better way to profit.
-----Seth Godin

Excellence costs no more than mediocrity      
---- Donald Trump

Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.
---- Bob Wells

Love all these quotes. I am no cake decorator, has been trying to learn for the past one year. But, when people tell me I should start selling, I just smile and say 'I will when someone is willing to pay the price it is worth of ' and walk away. Because I know that freshly made with four layers (torted) 8" round 4 " tall cake would be around 60 dollars at least and people can get 4 times that cake for half the price in a grocery store. So, they'll think without considering what is the difference. (Believe me, I would think the same way two years back when I knew nothing about cakes)

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #53 of 56

I love how the second article suggests using nuts on the side becuase "frosting the sides is more difficult than frosting the top." Yeah. It's really hard to run the bench scraper along the sides. Chopping, toasting, and evenly distributing nuts on the sides will really save me a lot of time!

yelle66 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #54 of 56

UGggh. I just think of all the poor brides who will be up all night the night before their wedding crying over their crap cake that these people promised would be wonderful.

Danielle

tx_cupcake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #55 of 56

The article also suggests that hiring "at home baker" to make the cake would save money. The author never mentions that only a handful of states actually allow home bakers to be licensed, and conveniently makes no mention of the fact that many venues will not serve a cake made by an unlicensed baker.

Maybe I expect too much, but if someone is touted as the "eHow Wedding Editor" shouldn't they, I don't know, actually KNOW what they're talking about? icon_confused.gif

cmalin3 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:07am
post #56 of 56

Sorry - completely off the topic for a second.  tx_cupcake, I love your signature quote!  That's one of my favorite sites when I need a laugh (who wouldn't rather "has cake" than cheezburger?!)  :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%