Strawberry Shortcake

Baking By __Jamie__ Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 3:11am by misserica

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hmmmm....anyone do this before for a stacked three tier cake? I've not made shortcake before, but I know it's pretty crumbly! Is this even an option for a "big" cake?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

3 replies
maryjsgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

The shortcake I grew up on was basically yellow cake, not the biscuit. So I just use vanilla cake for mine. I do a seven layer strawberry cake with four layers of vanilla cake and three of strawberry (sleeve) filling and thinly sliced strawberries. I put the filling on very thin, so thin I don't even have to use a dam. It is just kind of there to keep the strawberries in place and accent their flavor. Then I ice with stabilized whipped cream or bettercream (if I have to decorate).

Some cakers don't like the bettercream, but frankly it tastes like Cool Whip which (at least in my area of the world) is what is used on short cake.

It's one of my most complimented flavors.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 4

misserica Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 4

I made a big mess with my version of strawberry shortcake last weekend but it tasted amazing. Its the pink Kit-Kat cake in my pictures. I made angel food cake, put some seedless strawberry preserves on the angel food cake, fresh sliced strawberries and then whipped cream, then repeated...let me tell you, if it were not for the icing and the Kit-Kat's the cake would look a hot mess lol....but honest it was better than any cake I have ever made. Although, I do not imagine that this would work for a stacked cake. Leahs is the SPS go to girl, I bet she would know if it could be done! Good luck, HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%