How Big Are Your 2Nd Home Kitchens?

Business By Kpow Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm by costumeczar

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 2

For those of you that live in states that require a 2nd, separate kitchen in your home be be licensed, how big is your space? As this looks like my only option here in Georgia right now, I'm trying to figure out how to convert my basement, which luckily already meets the requirements of having a separate outside entrance, plumbing, etc. My business will be primarily cupcakes, so I'm hoping I may not need as much room as someone making many different kinds of cakes with many types of supplies necessary, but I'd just like to get an idea of how much space other people have...or better yet, what you think would be ideal if you don't have exactly what you want. Thanks!

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 2

I don't have a separate kitchen, but I work out of my home, which would be the same as having a non-commercial kitchen like you'd have in your basement. I wouldn't worry so much about the square footage itself, but I'd just suggest that you put in more counter space than you think you'll need. Also space for racks to store things while you're working, since you'll probably have trays with cupcakes on them.

I know one women here who does cupcakes out of her regular home kitchen, so you don't need a lot more space than you would if you're using a regular kitchen. The extra counters would be nice, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%