Lowest Price You Charged????

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm by jules06

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug76

Thanks LaBellaFlor!! I need a wake up call!! The most I have been paid for cakes are....

$150 >>>
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274622.html

$100 >>> Which a shop owner here on CC reproduced this cake and told me she wouldn't sell for less than $500!! But, in my 'defense' my mom gave me some money since it was for my Nanny's 80th birthday...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1220410.html

$150 >>>
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1300359.html

Most of my other cakes have been between $55 - 80.00.
Does anyone out there have advice on how to charge for sculpted fondant figures?? Almost all my cakes have some form of fondant molding and I 'lose' myself in the charge!?!!?!?! icon_redface.gif

~ Jaime

Oh my gosh! You are so talented (I may have mentioned this before). Please charge more! You are worth it and hey, you're an award winning cake decorator! People will pay you what you're worth Jaime, your cakes are beautiful!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUUMEME

Oh, I have so many, many cakes I have underpriced! I get so nervous to say the price and then when I do everyone says "oh okay!" Like they are surprised I am so cheap. I then kick myself for not asking for more. All that time and energy wasted! Grrr! I am learning though and lately have been asking for more.

Sorry I can't seem to post the photos??
If you feel like looking in my photos:
R2D2-$50.
Barbie doll-$40.
Butterflies w/ initials-$15.00- ouch, stupid girl!

Oh I could go on and on and on..... icon_cry.gif

You have to be kidding me! You only charged $50 for that R2D2?!?!? WOW! That is easily a $150-$175 cake.

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #63 of 109

I did this one for $50, but she did not order fondant. She wanted Scooby theme and I decided it would look better with the MMF.
LL

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #64 of 109
Quote:

Thanks for making me chuckle Tinygoose!!! icon_lol.gif

It's so easy for me to look at other cakes and appreciate the talent and time invested, but when I look in the mirror, it's another story.

Sorry... this is getting deep!! icon_wink.gif
~ Jaime

(smile) I'll be here all week. icon_wink.gif

tinygoose Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #65 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa78332

This was one of the first wedding cakes I did. She was a friend of a friend of a friend. She was trying to plan a small wedding and everything was going wrong for her. I quoted her $140 but when I went to pick up the money and deliver cake she only had $100. So I took it with the agreement that she would pay the rest later when she delivered the equipment. And yep you guessed it, that was a year ago. Haven't seen the balance or my equipment. Thats one lesson I learned the hard way.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1199183.html

Your cake reminds me of my wedding cake. Burgandy and ivory, round though. Very pretty just like yours. You should give her a call, yes one year later, ask her if she wants to order an 1st anniversary cake, "Oh and btw I still need to collect the rest of my cake & equipment money." Oh she would be way too embarressed to decline.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:55am
post #66 of 109

I did this cake because my SIL asked me if I could do her a "favour" and make her son (my nephew) a cake for his 20th.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297857

She was having his celebration dinner at a restaurant. Normally, for these types of dinners if we celebrate at a restaurant, we pay for all our guests so I figured, I won't ask anything for it since our portion of dinner would probably cost her at least $70 for me, my DH & DS.

Being it was a milestone B-Day, I would have made him a cake anyway, although not as big. And even though I never would have taken it, it would have been nice if she had at least offered to cover the cost of ingredients since she did ask me to make it - which she didn't.

My husband & I still gave her son a gift that was $100 in value and she didn't even thank me for making the cake. AND the kicker is, when my DH offered to pay our portion of dinner, she actually took it!!!

It still irks me to this day!

Edited for typos

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #67 of 109

yes, I would like to order 10 R2D2 cakes because I am sure that I can sell them for $200 each. I'M RICH!!!!! WOO HOO!

wow, I can't believe that price for r2d2. I HATE star wars cakes because of the detail in everything. I won't do one for under $100.

Another thing that gripes me... when they want to save money by using a styrofoam dummy. Ummm...did you want that decorated or just stacked????

Does anyone else find themselves justifying their prices? What the he$$ is this crap! I am like...oh, well the cake will be $300 but I am totally worth it... I have won several awards...baked fresh...blah blah blah. I wish I could just say... $300! and shrug when they complain.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:09am
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

You couldn't even go to a Ma and Pa type diner on the corner and get dessert for $1.00!!! ~ Jaime

I think you can get an apple turnover at McDonalds' off of their dollar menu? icon_biggrin.gif

Last time I checked, a plain piece of carrot cake was $3.99 at O'Charley's. A piece of Chocolate cake with a warm center was $5.50 at Bravo's. So when they complain that two bucks is two high ... uh, too high .... send them to Bravo's for their dessert! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL!!! Indydebi that is hilarious! We should tell people who complain about pricing that they can take the McD's pies & stack them up for their cakes if they feel they should only pay $1 a serving!

Well, to be fair, my co-worker feels this way about other things besides cake. She thinks just about everything is too expensive nowadays, including McDonalds! She's not naieve or dumb, she's just very thrifty and proud of it! She would never go into a bakery and demand a cake for cheap. Her motto is: Why spend $3.99 for a dessert in a restaurant when there's a box of Betty Crocker in the pantry at home? icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, even though she's one of my biggest supporters as far as my hobby goes, she still doesn't fully get it when it comes to pricing. At least she's honest with me and not insulting when she tells me she wouldn't pay $65 for a cake. icon_smile.gif

vlin28 - Errr, I don't think your SIL was trying to be insulting and you should let it go. She didn't do anything wrong. Honestly, if you don't ask for compensation when the topic is at hand, you shouldn't expect them to offer. People aren't mind readers. She asked a favor, you said yes, and it didn't go any further than that. Also, never offer to pay for something unless you are truly prepared to do so, because the person just might say "Yes" and they are fully in their right to. It sounds like the whole situation was one big miscommunication.

lostincake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:39am
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

vlin28 - Errr, I don't think your SIL was trying to be insulting and you should let it go. She didn't do anything wrong. Honestly, if you don't ask for compensation when the topic is at hand, you shouldn't expect them to offer. People aren't mind readers. She asked a favor, you said yes, and it didn't go any further than that. Also, never offer to pay for something unless you are truly prepared to do so, because the person just might say "Yes" and they are fully in their right to. It sounds like the whole situation was one big miscommunication.

You are entitled to your opinion. I mention that it irks me (a feeling to which I am entitled) and I bring it up here because I felt it was relevant to the topic of undervalued work.

I don't think she intended to insult me but what was insulting nonetheless is that she didn't even thank me for making the cake.

My point in bringing up the cost of the dinner is that we have never taken a dime from her for dinners we have treated for (not that it was ever offered) and yet she would still take money for our portion of dinner even when we provided the cake which makes it obvious she did not put any value on the time it takes nor the costs of making the cake.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:04am
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I did this cake because my SIL asked me if I could do her a "favour" and make her son (my nephew) a cake for his 20th.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297857

She was having his celebration dinner at a restaurant. Normally, for these types of dinners if we celebrate at a restaurant, we pay for all our guests so I figured, I won't ask anything for it since our portion of dinner would probably cost her at least $70 for me, my DH & DS.

Being it was a milestone B-Day, I would have made him a cake anyway, although not as big. And even though I never would have taken it, it would have been nice if she had at least offered to cover the cost of ingredients since she did ask me to make it - which she didn't.

My husband & I still gave her son a gift that was $100 in value and she didn't even thank me for making the cake. AND the kicker is, when my DH offered to pay our portion of dinner, she actually took it!!!

It still irks me to this day!

Edited for typos

My husband made the mistake of offering to pay for dinner just ONCE when it bit him in the a.. for over $300. Just once...

SUUMEME, can you come to my house to make that R2D2? I'm pretty sure I've got $50 laying around... But seriously, can you tell me how?

This is my cake that I did for my SIL's wedding. She couldn't figure out why it was such a big deal. I should have let her have the sheet cake that the hotel offered when they chose their menu...
LL

lostincake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:25am
post #71 of 109

Skirt...that's a beautiful cake...too bad your SIL couldn't see it for what it's worth and appreciate the obvious effort & talent you put into it.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:46am
post #72 of 109

I am still learning and love making cakes, but....... My husband's friend asked if I could make a princessy cake for his daughter and he'd be happy to pay me for it (Gosh golly gee really?! icon_confused.gif ) Well, this cake ended up costing ME $250! How you ask..... He has a computer store in town here, and gave my husband a 'deal' on a monitor for $200. Yeah we needed another one of those like another hole in my head icon_mad.gif !! I'm just too busy when he wants a cake now icon_twisted.gif !
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:27pm
post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

At least she's honest with me and not insulting when she tells me she wouldn't pay $65 for a cake. icon_smile.gif

I absolutely respect people like this! thumbs_up.gif There is such a difference between someone telling a cake maker "your cakes are too expensive" and someone who acknowledges the cakes are pricey but they are just not willing to pay it. An Escalade is worth the price .... I'm just not willing to pay that for a vehicle.

As I've said before, even my daughter tells people, "Good thing gramma donates the birthday cakes for my kids because I cant' afford my mom's cakes either!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:42pm
post #74 of 109

WOW SO many wonderful cakes!!! Castles, gift boxes, picnic baskets, R2D2....so much talent.

For the past month I have done 2 cakes every week/end. I am not tired of cake!!!! Maybe because I under charge. I'm thinking of charging high for some cakes just so I dont have to do them. LOL

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencersmom98

I JUST did a cake for our cubscouts Blue and Gold banquet. It was the only dessert, and I was going to donate it to them, because I figured I'd do a simple sheet cake that serves 40. Then I decided I wanted to try something new, and would just charge the ingredants. Figured it'd be around $20. THEN I was told that the cake had to serve around 80 people, instead of the original 40 I was told. I told them that was fine, but I needed to be paid for the ingrediants of a cake that size. My cake had a 3-d couch, a fondant family, and was sitting on the base cake that I made to look like a floor. I told them it'd be $40. Still haven't seen a dime.

The other cake I have a feeling is going to be free, is for my BFF's mom in May. She asked my BFF months ago if I would do the cake for them. Of course I said yes. Now I'm afraid she's assuming the cake is free, since she knows me! Ugh! How in the world do you bring up that the cake is not free for friends?

I am doing the blue and gold this weekend! My son is in cubscouts so it is a donation...a BIG donation! I think I will get paid for some of the ingredients, but some stuff I just had. It is to serve 125. I am making two sheet cakes and a 3D cake. phew

tinygoose Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #76 of 109

Tea Cup Cake $100 for my DH father's cousin. That was what she told me she wanted to spend. She said she didn't care if it was flat with bc, she just wanted a pretty teacup. So I'm fine with the price. It's serves about 18. The plate is gumpaste, about the size of a dinner plate. I didn't like this cake at the time but it has become one of my favs.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257414

The small Ribbon & Roses cake, for a friend's mom for Mother's Day. $100
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217884

alvarezmom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #77 of 109

Oh how I want to make a teapot cake!!!

Merissa, I'm sure the cakes will come out fabulous! Your wk is GREAT!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #78 of 109

$15 for a single layer 11X15....yep you read that right.

It was just after I had taken the Wilton 1 course. Not legal yet icon_redface.gif , but didn't know you had to be. Hadn't discovered CC. We've come a long way baby...

BTW - this is a very fun thread. I'm glad you started it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have a winner! icon_lol.gif I doubt anyone can beat this one! icon_lol.gif

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #80 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have a winner! icon_lol.gif I doubt anyone can beat this one! icon_lol.gif

lol. Not that we would want to..

Why are people charging so little for their craft and beautiful skill!!!!

...of course I should take my own advice as well, but I somehow feel that if I charge what I think I should get that I would never have another cake order... and I love making cakes too much for that to happen.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm
post #81 of 109
Quote:
Quote:

...of course I should take my own advice as well, but I somehow feel that if I charge what I think I should get that I would never have another cake order... and I love making cakes too much for that to happen.

That's exactly how I feel. I live in "coal country" and most people here are not that well off. Of course, those people are my best customers. I actually had a client who receives food stamps borrow money to purchase a cake from me when she could have used her food stamps and got it from the supermarket.

And yet, the people who can afford to pay 10 times what I charge for a cake are the ones who will say something insulting about my prices and then get their cake from Wally World (which BTW, is an hour drive from here so they pay the difference for gas).

I console myself with the knowledge that they wouldn't have appreciated my cake anyway. And, at the end of the day, I'd rather make $10 on a cake and know it was appreciated than make $100 off someone who doesn't see the value of it.

alvarezmom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #82 of 109

jammjenks--I am IN LOVE with your pink and more pink cake!!!! Geez, I'm in pink heaven over here.

Tonight I'm taking course 3. I still have to get home and finish up on some MMF accents for a cake tomorrow. Class is from 6-9 PM so I'm hoping I'll get to bed around 10:30...It's not that hard of a cake. It's a garden cake. I already baked and iced the two layers and thankfully my co worker didnt want any filling!!! HURRAY TO THOSE CUSTOMERS!!!! icon_smile.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #83 of 109

There are some really cheap people out there. I was in Costco and a guy was on his phone by the cakes. He was complaining to someone on the other end (prob. his wife) that the sheet cakes were $16.99. Seriously, I was flabbergasted and started to wonder how I could ever sell a cake.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #84 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteums

There are some really cheap people out there. I was in Costco and a guy was on his phone by the cakes. He was complaining to someone on the other end (prob. his wife) that the sheet cakes were $16.99. Seriously, I was flabbergasted and started to wonder how I could ever sell a cake.

Times are tough economically so I understand people being concerned about cost, but give me a break! $16.99. I really wonder what peopleare thinking when they wonder what a cake should cost, let alone a custom made one.

jammjenks Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #85 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

What? I won something? A smack in the head maybe?

I believe I heard Oprah say one time that, "When we know better, we do better." I think we all know better by now.

jammjenks Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

jammjenks--I am IN LOVE with your pink and more pink cake!!!! Geez, I'm in pink heaven over here.

Thank you so much for the compliment. That's what I mean when I say we've come a long way since the $15 11X15 days. thumbs_up.gif

alvarezmom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #87 of 109

I second that!!!!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm
post #88 of 109

Well, if I ever get good enough to actually have a cake shop, I will have to remember that yes the car salesman would laugh and say don't let the door hit ya on the way out if I say, that's too much I want it for much much less. It kinda gets me down sometimes when all I do and can ask and only for some people is to cover the ingredients and they say well....a big sheet cake at Safeway is only $24.99. Yes but I don't buy stuff by the million pound sacks and I would certainly like to think my cakes taste a lot better than the carboard covered in shortening and sugar they have there! Like Indydebi says....."oh, you think that's too much....o.k. next!"!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #89 of 109

Close friends and family get their cakes for free (and I've made a LOT of free cakes lol). For everyone else, I don't turn my oven on for less than $100.

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

i think i got misunderstood...

i was assuming that she doesnot have a storefront, so she doesnt pay rent... and i was telling her, if her competition charges $6 and up, she should use that as a high, and consider that she doesnt rent a storefront...

(that is what the competition around me charge $6)

i think i assumed, and i should not have... because like they say, you make an a$$ out of you and me...

but that is what i meant by that comment...

(here is my rational - i rent a licensed kitchen, so it is much cheaper for me to prduce a cake than someone who has a storefront, so i do not chage $6 like they do... my prices start at $3 a slice for fondant)

You are totally right and on the same lines as I am thinking as my "competition" do rent a shop are loads better than me (ie have written a few books and years of experience) so yes I would definately charge less than them, its just finding that middle ground as they charge approx $135 for a novelty cake (converting from £) and I charge a friends and family rate of approx $25 ( which just covers ingredients), but worried that I take that price up then nobody wants a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%