Lowest Price You Charged????

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm by jules06

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 109

What was the lowest price you have charged for a cake and then regreted it? I charged $40 for this cake! LOL I wasnt sure how long it was going to take and wasnt sure how it was going to come out.

Attach a pic if you can. Here's mine...
LL

108 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 109

geesh. Ouch

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 109

Wow, you really undercharged for that cake. It's beautiful, BTW. icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 109

i charged $60 for a ten inch box cake, and the lady payed $30 ahead of time, and then when she came to pick it up, she didnt have change so she told me, that she would come the next day to bring the $10 balance... i am still waiting...

so we charged $50.00 for a cake for 50 people...

but OUCH... i would have charged atleast $100

but we all live and learn...

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 109

Yup I did learn! icon_smile.gif

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 109

Funny you should ask. Today at my child's nursery a parent said to me that she had a cake for me to do in a couple of months for a 50th wedding anniversary.

Am a bit concerned as I am really just starting out and have a long way to go so have been doing a few cakes for friends purely at cost (ie for ingredients electric etc) but NOT for my time as I am learning and it means that really they are funding my practice cakes but still getting an ok cake.

However, now it is friends of a friend or their relatives. So not sure hgow to broach the fact that I am not really willing to do it for so little money. I discussed with some friends today and they told me what they think I should charge he which I feel is fair but is more than triple to what she knows I have asked others for.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 109

This was my first tt and I wasn't sure it would turn out. The mgr at work said to give her a break on the cost to CYA. He charged $60. It is in my photos, Sweet 16. I can't get it smaller than the 800x800 pixels.

pinklesley1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 109

you should charge what your friends tell you, or check into local places, and then go 0.50 or $1 less.... per slice

Chlophiasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chlophiasmom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 109

I charged $85 for this wedding cake that served 80 guests. I was being noce since they were a young couple that belongs to my church. I don't regret my decision.
LL

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 109

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319711

$2O.OO...Made for my BIL...wanted to try one...charged for ingredients. The next one won't be for that price...LOL!!!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 109

Same here I charged $300.00 for a cake for 250 people she gave me $240.00 and she is going to give me the rest later so, I'm calling her and she doesn't answer the phone icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif it's been since last december. so I made a cake for 250 people at $1.20 the slice icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 109

I charged $425 for this, served 120, all scratch baked premium flavours, about 50 hours of work, cost $230 in ingredients & supplies alone!!! Now I would never do a cake like this for less than $7.50 per serving:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_810183.html

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

you should charge what your friends tell you, or check into local places, and then go 0.50 or $1 less.... per slice

I couldn't disagree more! Most non-cakers have no clue the amount of time & effort that goes into a cake, not to mention the cost of ingredients. Undercutting your competition is never a good idea either - especially whjen you are offering custom designed, freshly baked cakes which most bakeries don't!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

Same here I charged $300.00 for a cake for 250 people she gave me $240.00 and she is going to give me the rest later so, I'm calling her and she doesn't answer the phone icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif it's been since last december. so I made a cake for 250 people at $1.20 the slice icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

That's really lousy of that person. I can't believe people would do that and then just not answer their phone. How can they live with themselves? Sorry that happened to you.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 109

I recently only charged $40 fro a 3D elmo sitting on a 9 inch round.

Because I only decorate for friends, family and coworkers, I asked them to pay what they thought was fair... they offered $40 I stupidly took it!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!! too much work for too little pay!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

I couldn't disagree more! Most non-cakers have no clue the amount of time & effort that goes into a cake, not to mention the cost of ingredients. Undercutting your competition is never a good idea either - especially whjen you are offering custom designed, freshly baked cakes which most bakeries don't!

Abso-freaking-lutely!!! When we got married 20 years ago, when a wedding cake in our area sold for $150-$225, my husband thought you could get one for thirty bucks. NEVER take a survey among cake civilians re: pricing unless they work in the food .... specifically food and pastry ... industry.

Where's that Cadillac salesman? I want to suggest to him what *I* think a Cadillac should sell for! Yeah .... THAT'LL work! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 109

I charged $20 for this one. Well, co-worker asked what ingredients cost so I judged and that's what I got. Never mind 9 hours of work!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1212518.html

I swear, I am the Queen of "Not Charging for my work" since I got about $35 for this one....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1212220.html

I'm sure like others on here, I could go on and on!!! I am in the process of filing paperwork (already having zoning approval) and you better believe I am going to 'rethink' my pricing - or lack there of!!!

~ Jaime

pinklesley1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #19 of 109

i think i got misunderstood...

i was assuming that she doesnot have a storefront, so she doesnt pay rent... and i was telling her, if her competition charges $6 and up, she should use that as a high, and consider that she doesnt rent a storefront...

(that is what the competition around me charge $6)

i think i assumed, and i should not have... because like they say, you make an a$$ out of you and me...

but that is what i meant by that comment...

(here is my rational - i rent a licensed kitchen, so it is much cheaper for me to prduce a cake than someone who has a storefront, so i do not chage $6 like they do... my prices start at $3 a slice for fondant)

springlakecake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #20 of 109

I didnt get paid for this one as it was a donation at a cake auction. It sold for $25. Hours and hours of work! Especially since I almost re-did the whole thing because it wasnt good enough. What really was disturbing was the fact that the cakes with a $5 toy taped to them went for $50. ah well.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309472

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #21 of 109

how do I attach the file on my post to get the the pic??

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #22 of 109

I charged $75 for this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1176679.html

Not realizing I'd have to bake two 12x18" cakes to carve it from, and never imagining the $200 it would cost me to make it, or the 10 hours it would take me to finish it. 'doh!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #23 of 109

Free! Granted it was suppose to be the gift, but then I actually bought her a gift as well... ergh.

and the other was $50 for the three tier just for ingredients. but it was for my best friends wedding shower.. i made 2 the other i gave a a gift.. but still got her a gift.. hm.. l sense a theme.

The great thing is, because I just started charging, that I have been pretty good about pricing cakes because of all the cakes on CC. Also, having a minimum that I tell myself I won't go less than (mine is $125) which is about 50 servings @ 2.5.... the cheapest design (no stacking).

Of course there are exceptions, and I have charged less than I should for personal friends, but for them as long as I get the cost of ingredients, and have the time.. i don't mind right now icon_biggrin.gif

In the end you both have to be happy with the price. If they don't wanna pay what you want.. they can go somewhere else. If you don't get what you want, you will regret for a while!
LL
LL

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #24 of 109

I JUST did a cake for our cubscouts Blue and Gold banquet. It was the only dessert, and I was going to donate it to them, because I figured I'd do a simple sheet cake that serves 40. Then I decided I wanted to try something new, and would just charge the ingredants. Figured it'd be around $20. THEN I was told that the cake had to serve around 80 people, instead of the original 40 I was told. I told them that was fine, but I needed to be paid for the ingrediants of a cake that size. My cake had a 3-d couch, a fondant family, and was sitting on the base cake that I made to look like a floor. I told them it'd be $40. Still haven't seen a dime.

The other cake I have a feeling is going to be free, is for my BFF's mom in May. She asked my BFF months ago if I would do the cake for them. Of course I said yes. Now I'm afraid she's assuming the cake is free, since she knows me! Ugh! How in the world do you bring up that the cake is not free for friends?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #25 of 109

Okay ladyubug76 PLEASE STOP what your doing to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! Those cakes are beautiful & I don't even see how you got the ingredients paid back to you. The basket cake (though I'm not sure of the servings) an easy $200 & the other no less then $150. Don't do this to yourself ever again! People will take you for granted & then you'll be upset with yourself. Not to mention when you do decide to price accurately, people will be outraged,cause they'll reflect on what you've charged in the past. Not to lecture, but I think you deserve credit for your beautiful work.icon_smile.gif

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I didnt get paid for this one as it was a donation at a cake auction. It sold for $25. Hours and hours of work! Especially since I almost re-did the whole thing because it wasnt good enough. What really was disturbing was the fact that the cakes with a $5 toy taped to them went for $50. ah well.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309472

I would've loved to be at that auction icon_wink.gif BTW that pirate ship was AMAZING!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #27 of 109

The wife of my husband's best friend asked me to do a cake. As a favor, I quoted $25. She then asked if I would make 2 cakes because she was supplying the cakes for both of her children's school Christmas parties. I made two 10 inch cakes with fondant Santas.

When she picked them up, I took her check, laid it on the counter and loaded the cakes in the car. After she drove off, I looked at the check, which was for.... anyone? Yep, a total of $25. She paid me $12.50 per cake.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #28 of 109

Spencersmom I suggest when a friend or family member ask you to do a cake, right away ask them what they want , how many people, and then politely say,"Great, no problem, it's gonna cost x,y,&z". That way you don't let it go & get that awkwardnesslater on about not discussing price & them assuming it's free. But as what you going to do right now, you just got to go for it, & bring it up! icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabanya

I charged $75 for this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1176679.html

Not realizing I'd have to bake two 12x18" cakes to carve it from, and never imagining the $200 it would cost me to make it, or the 10 hours it would take me to finish it. 'doh!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OMG! Wow...you won't make that mistake again, eh?? Beeyootiful cake!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #30 of 109

OMG juleebug!! This is too funny....what a great thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%