I Need Help!!! Tough Delivery Coming Up....

Decorating By lindsaycakes Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm by ziggytarheel

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding coming up, and it is going to be a very tough delivery. So I need your HELP!!!
The cake is going to be 50 individual cakes that will be placed on each table as the centerpiece. The bride has glued antique plates onto pedestal bases, which she will have waiting at the reception site. So MY problem is, HOW DO I GET THESE CAKES TO THE RECEPTION HALL?!?! They are going to be 6" cakes on 7" cake boards (the only size that fit inside the diameter of the plates).

The problem is, they don't sell 7" cake boxes, and I don't really want to buy/fold 50 cake boxes, anyway. How do I transport these cakes in my car without them all sliding together?? Any suggestions?? Any contraptions that might work for me???

THANKS!!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 10

Are you using a car or van/suv? If using a van or suv you can put down non skid mat to keep them from sliding around. I buy it at Wal Mart by the roll (shelf liner) and cut it to the size I need. I don't know if you can transport 50 at a time even in a van or suv. I think it would be next to impossible in a car. It's going to take a lot of time to load and unload them so I hope you are charging a hefty delivery charge.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 10

Like Tiggy said, definitely use the non-skid mat. The only thought I have is do you have any of those plastic underbed boxes? If the cakes aren't too tall you could put them in those and then you could stack 'em so you can go vertical. I use these for cupcakes and they work great.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 10

There are going to be 50 TABLES at this wedding????

Holy crapoly... you should be able to hire a convoy of limos with what I hope you charged for this project!!

Here's another vote for non-skid mat.

I'd suggest heading over to your local mail and shipping store with some dummies on 7" boards so you can find the boxes that will fit the cakes most efficiently.

You can stack the boxes by placing a board that is larger than the box on top (so the board does not accidentally fall into the box below). Of course, non-skid mat between every layer of box/board.

Still, I doubt you'll be able to transport all 50 in one vehicle at one time.

Be sure to give yourself PLENTY of time for packing up and unloading the cakes!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 10

Non skid on full sheet pans, that way you can have 6 or so on a tray at a time cause don't forget these need to into the building too... better 10 trips than 25 with just two hands. Better to rent a van than try to use a plain old car.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 10

whew icon_eek.gif Drive really carefull and good luck icon_biggrin.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 10

Well depending on what your driving, I would think you need to be able to stack some. Could put non skid in bottom of full sheet cake box, then place how ever many cakes you can in box. then you can stack 2 or 3 boxes on top of each other. I would also put a piece of non stick between boxes, then do what ever you can to keep boxes from moving in car. you can always keep the boxes also to reuse for something else.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 10

Ooh or rubbermaid underbed containers!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

Well depending on what your driving, I would think you need to be able to stack some. Could put non skid in bottom of full sheet cake box, then place how ever many cakes you can in box. then you can stack 2 or 3 boxes on top of each other. I would also put a piece of non stick between boxes, then do what ever you can to keep boxes from moving in car. you can always keep the boxes also to reuse for something else.

At first, I thought of full sheet boxes, but they're usually not 4 inches tall and I'm assuming the cakes in question are at least 4 inches tall.

I think there are heavy duty full sheet boxes with adjustable height lids, but I may be making this up. icon_wink.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Ooh or rubbermaid underbed containers!

I read a long time ago on the Wilton Forums about someone who always does this. Nonskid mat in the under the bed rolling box. I can't reember, but somehow she would then roll the boxes into the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%