New To Cake Decorating-What Tools Are A Must!

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm by Mandeepthemom

isabow2 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 12

I have recently become addicted to cake decorating using fondant. It's just about all I think about which has become good & bad at the same time. There are so many things that you can do, but there are also so many things you can buy & SO much money that can be spent. I'd don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. What do you consider are the absolute MUST HAVES or things that might have been a little pricey but were definitely worth it. Such as cake pans, fondant/gumpaste tools, icing colorings, etc. Please let me know as I'm SO confused as to what to buy! icon_confused.gif

11 replies
brincess_b Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 12

i got a wilton tub with 8 colour pots, which has done me fine so far.
you definatly need the gumpaste tools - i got a non brand set which are great.
a rolling pin - or several. ive got some plastic piping for the gumpaste/ fondant.
foam pads, if you do sugar flowers. (a cel pad in my case)
board (cel board) if you do flowers - good for wired flowers/ leaves, or just rolling small shapes on it.
cutters - that depends what your doing. you can always make a cardboard cutout to use.
dusts - again especially for flowers, give you a better colour. or pearl/ metalic looks. and vodka/ lemon extract if you paint them on.
paint brushes - good for the lustre dusts or painting on colour.
toothpicks - the easiest way to add colour.
wires - mainly for flowers (in which case get florists tapes too), but good for toppers too!

thats pretty much what i have!
xx

lizamlin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 12

Give this older thread a peek:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613882.html

Good luck!

isabow2 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much for your replies. The older thread was very helpful! What size cake pans do y'all use the most?I have 2 - 8in rounds & the typical 9x13, but that's it. There are LOTS of cake pan sets available (in regular & deep sides), but they run anywhere from $35-$45 dollars! Again, I don't mind spending that, if it's something that I'm going to use a lot. Should I buy the square pan set & the round? Lemme know your thoughts.

artsywest Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 12

I can't get along without my leaf cutters and leaf veiners. I do several kinds of leaves and pop them all into the veiner to get a realistic look. Invest in a good veiner (not the cheap ones that only have 1 line going down the middle) Mine is two pieces and is made of silicone.

I also use my artist's pallet knife every day. It is very thin and I can pick up sticky fondant off the mat without damaging it.

Good luck!
Becky

rocketmom1985 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 12

Get a sugardaddy to fund your "tool collection"... icon_wink.gif

DH whines all the time about all the "tools" I purchase...

My only suggestion is get a good gumpaste tool kit...the wilton ones stink.. icon_rolleyes.gif

tiawanna02 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 12

just remember one thing that you dont have to buy everything at once. buy as you need. i go to ebay for any shape pans, techinque books, some tools. also check out sugarshack fondant dvd or check out you tube for some great pointers. icon_biggrin.gif

isabow2 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

Get a sugardaddy to fund your "tool collection"... icon_wink.gif

DH whines all the time about all the "tools" I purchase...

My only suggestion is get a good gumpaste tool kit...the wilton ones stink.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Haha! Thanks for the advice. I have to admit that I've already bought some stuff & I keep hearing my BF say "You've bought MORE stuff?!" when he sees the sacks. I'll probably never get him to marry me if I don't start hiding my cake obsession (or at least the sacks icon_cool.gif!). I just can't help it, there are so many things to try!!

tripleD Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 12

Welcome.
Once you start turning into a cake dork like the rest of us.There is no end to the possiblity of what you can use. Things you would never imagine soon turn into decorating tools.And any new pan,tool,style is always out there. welcome again.

isabow2 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

Welcome.
Once you start turning into a cake dork like the rest of us.There is no end to the possiblity of what you can use. Things you would never imagine soon turn into decorating tools.And any new pan,tool,style is always out there. welcome again.

Although I'm still new, I have already found myself thinking of ways to use other tools for cakes. The other day I took a free mini ice scraper from my local post office to use on fondant. I thought the different patterns on each of the side would look neat!

tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 12

My favorite tool is my ball tool. I love the metal ball tool cause it slides easier than the typical plastic ones..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mandeepthemom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 12

I am fairly new to cake decorating to...I buy as I need, depending on what project I want to do next....For example, I wanted to make a Harley Davidson cake, hence need piping gel etc....wilton color box is awesome to...also Micheal's has 40% coupons online...google it...and i buy my big purchases (my daughters wilton castle) set a month in advance with the coupon...be clever...I use this site a lot and find you can use a lot of things you have at home...flower foamers...I use paper towel rolls etc....sponge for flowers, got mine from the dollar store...look for a great cookie cutter set (I bought a hundred piece set off craigslist for $5)
I use those for cutting out fondant shapes....good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%