My Wedding Cake

Decorating By michelle0328 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11am by prterrell

michelle0328 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 6

I plan on mking my own wedding cake in April. I plan on baking it and freezing it a week or two before and have read that I can probably ice it 2-3 days before. I plan to drop it off at the caterer on Friday and the wedding is on Saturday........I'm open to any thoughts, comments, ideas.....Thanks.

5 replies
prterrell Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

How much cake baking/decorating experience do you have? Have you ever made a multi-tiered cake before? You're going to be under a LOT of stress the week of your wedding. Many experienced bakers/decorators don't do their own wedding cakes for this very reason.

Toptier Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

Well, you're on the right track by making ahead and freezing. And, you're right that you can ice it 2-3 days ahead which you definitely want to do since you're the bride!

Can you tell us more details about the cake you're planning? Is it tiered for example? What flavors and what do you plan to ice it with and how will it be decorated? That way we can help with more specific advice. Do you have anyone to help you? I would advise this, also to have a backup plan if things go awry.

If you don't want to worry about stacking/supporting the cakes you could get one of the cake stands that you simply place individual cakes on...

michelle0328 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 6

To answer prterrell's question, I have had a lot of experiencing baking, and was an instructor at Michaels until last Fall. I understand the stress level that that week will bring, but I just can't imagain not making my own cake, when I make them for everyone else.

To start, I'm keeping it really simple. Square tiered cake-frosted smooth with some scroll work. If I have the time I will try to make peonies, if not the florist is going to decorate.....That's all, so I'm hoping not too stressful, and I will have some help-although sometimes I think the more help the more stressful, I might be better on my own.

Thanks for your help.

ngfcake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6

Congratulations on your wedding!

I made my own wedding cake. It was REALLY simple. I didn't have a lot of experience, but I wanted so hard to make my own cake that I did it anyway.

I know what you mean when you say that the more help, the more stressful, but you could have someone, for example for cleaning, washing up dishes, going for some cutter or something you need. Sometimes this little things make a HUGE difference. When I have a difficult cake, my mom is always behind me doing those things and it is really useful.

Good luck!

prterrell Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle0328

To answer prterrell's question, I have had a lot of experiencing baking, and was an instructor at Michaels until last Fall. I understand the stress level that that week will bring, but I just can't imagain not making my own cake, when I make them for everyone else.

Totally get that! icon_biggrin.gif Just wanted to make sure you weren't taking too much on! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%