I Need Help With Rolled Buttercream!!!

Baking By sadsmile Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm by kmk

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 3

I love love love rolled buttercream. It tastes much better than fondant. I can't roll it out or cover anything with out it breaking and when I add extra powdered sugar so it is less greasy it cracks. It's just a mess. I so want it to work. Does anyone add stabilisers to rolled buttercream? Do you use shornting or CS or PS when you roll it out? I must be missing something here! I would love to be able to use this stuff.

2 replies
jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 3

I use cornstarch when I use RBC, and I have found that to be a tremendous help...better than adding more powdered sugar.
However, I have only used RBC for cookies so far...have never covered a cake. It's enough work for me with the cookies.
I would suggest working with the cornstarch, and maybe adding 1 extra cup of PS during the mixing process to see if that helps.

kmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmk Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 3

I always use rolled buttercream on a silicone mat and then just flip it onto the cake and delicately peel away the silicone mat. I do not add a bunch of extra powdered sugar into the mixture. I do dust the silicone mat with powdered sugar and the rolling pin. I agree it can be a little difficult but it is not like pie crust. It is much softer. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%