Cake Fillings

Baking By gotcake111365 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm by something_sweet

gotcake111365 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake111365 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 4

I am looking for a banana filling and a strawberry filling for cake. Any recipes?

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 4

For banana filling, I usually make a banana-cream filling. I make a batch of faux Bavarian: 1 cup whole milk + 1 pkg instant pudding mix (usually use vanilla or French vanilla, but for a banana filling, you could use the banana pudding mix), blend until smooth, fold in 1 container Cool Whip. While I am making the faux Bavarian, I macerate 2-3 just barely ripe (all yellow, but no brown spots) bananas, sliced about 1/4-1/2 inch thick in 1 cup lemon juice with 2 tablespoons sugar dissolved in it (this will help delay oxidation of the bananas). Drain the bananas and fold into the faux Bavarian. Cake must be refrigerated. Shelf life when using bananas is extremely short. Even with macerating in lemon juice the max shelf life of this filling is 3 days.

For fresh strawberry filling, I either slice fresh strawberries and mix with the red gel available in the produce section with the strawberries or with seedless strawberry jam (stir the jam vigourously first to loosen it). Or, for a strawberries and cream filling, I fold seedless strawberry jam into a batch of stabilized whipped cream. I have also used just plain jam before when strawberries were out of season.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 4

For strawberry filling, I use the Raspberry Puree Filling recipe here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4143-0-Raspberry-Puree-Filling.html

And make the following substitutions:
* Instead of raspberries, use strawberries (duh)
* Instead of Chambord, use Grand Marnier (orange liqeur)

It comes out very strawberry, with a tart kick that cuts the sweetness of cake and traditoual PS buttercream.

I have a recipe for cooked custard-type Banana Filling that I have no idea where I got, and that I've never tried myself. If you want it, I can post, but I can't vouch for it...

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%