Wilton's Decorator Icing

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm by icer101

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 6

Can I add cocoa to the Wilton's decorator icing? Does it blend well, etc? How about consistency?

5 replies
kickasscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

No one has done this before?

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 6

Are you talking about the already made icing, or the class buttercream recipe that's in the books? I've added cocoa powder to the stuff that you make and it came out just fine. I mixed it in with the powdered sugar before adding it to the icing.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

hi, if you have the course 1 book.. on page6, it tells you to add 3/4 cup cocoa, or 3 1oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted , and an additoional 1-2 T. water to recipe.. mix until well blended.. this is the class buttercream icing. go on wilton.com.. there is a delicous buttercream on there that you use butter with . and that one tells you how much chocolate to add. the class buttercream is a little stiffer.. that is why we make that in class.. i am a wilton teacher.. the one with the butter is softer.. i tell my students to use that one if they want to to ice their cakes for class. but to make up the class buttercream to use in class , because it is stiffer to practice with and to make the pretty roses. hths

kickasscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

I was more referring to the Large Tub of premade icing. Thanks so much for the tip!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 6

i don,t really like the tub of wiltons icing.. it is hard to work with in class doing the borders, roses,etc.. it is pretty gluey .. when i started teaching. i tried all that stuff... so i would know what to tell the students and to be honest about it..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%