Need Help With Rice Krispie Treats

Decorating By nhanifan Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 11:35am by lapazlady

nhanifan Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 16

Hi All
So I'm doing my first 3D cake and I will need to do some of it with rice krispies. Any one have any tip with working with them. Has anyone ever just covered them with BC w/o using fondant? Should I use the regular recipe or do I alter it a little to make it more sturdy? Any and all help is welcome icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 16

Some people cruch theirs, I don't just cover it with fondant after molding my piece, of course I haven't done big pieces but it worked just fine. Never covered in bc so couldn't answer that but I wouldn't see a problem, maybe someone else would have better info sorry.

lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 16

I use RiceKrispies frequently. I don't use the butter. And, I don't measure the cereal. I coat the bowl really well with Crisco, or whatever, and add about 1/2 a 16oz bag of marshmellows, than zap them in the microwave to melt. Stir until well blended and then start adding cereal. When it has added all it will and you have to start kneading, grease the counter very well and dump the mixture on the counter. Now, add a bit more cereal and knead. You'll get to a point where adding more cereal is difficult, you're done. I cover the mass with tinfoil or plastic wrap until I'm ready to make the shape. HTH

pattigunter Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 16

Is RKT lighter to use than gumpaste? I have to do a toilet cake (yes you read that right). I am thinking of doing the lid (which will be standing upright) out of RKT covered in fondant. Also considered just covering a piece of cardboard. Which would be the best medium to use for this? Its a fun cake for a co-workers 50th birthday.

lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 16

That's a good question. I would think you'd be better off making the toilet lid out of gum paste. The RK would have to be fairly thick, and that would be one strange lid. If the lid is thin, it would be very heavy. RK would be lighter, but...You know, if the gum paste is thin the weight might be a trade-off.

PistachioCranberry Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 16

I don't put butter in mines either. Depending what you are making I would let it dry some before covering it.

pattigunter, the cardboard might be better since the seat(unless its the cushioned one) is thin anyways. Maybe use a few cardboards.

pattigunter Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 16

I think I may have to do a practice run on this one. I bought some RK sheets to carve to shape. I'm going to make one of gumpaste and one with Rice Krispies and just see what works best.

nhanifan Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 16

So lapazlady when you say kneading do you mean like you do when you make bread? If you dont add the butter how does it taste?

pattigunter Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 16

The cardboard is probably going to be the best option because of the weight. Thanks for all the help.

pattigunter Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 16

I'm sorry nhanifan - I didnt mean to hijack your post!

lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 16

Cardboard is a good option. And, to knead, push squish, whatever you need to do to incorportate the RK into the melted marshmellows. Taste? Don't know, I don't recomment anyone eat the end product. Taste it.

7yyrt Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 16

I use about 2 Tablespoons of butter (it sticks to my hands otherwise) and some vanilla. It tastes good, many folks want the treats instead of the cake!

Auryn Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 16

I dont mean to hijack
but I was wondering
can you freeze RKT for future use in 3D cakes??
if so do they lose any of their quality/flavor??

lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 16

I've never frozen RK but I certainly kept the unused portion, well wrapped in plastic wrap, for 2-3 months. I stress, I recommend that RK decorations not be eaten. I sometimes use hot glue and other non-consumibles. So, age hasn't been an issue. Freezing, try it. If it doesn't look good, or is crumbly, toss it. You haven't really lost much. And we'll all have gained some important information.

7yyrt Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #15 of 16

Not trying to pick a fight, I really want to know... If you put things like glue in them, why do you bother using RKT at all? I use them so that they can be eaten, but if it isn't supposed to be eaten, why use a food product instead of just Playdough or something?

lapazlady Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:35am
post #16 of 16

I tell my customers the RK are decorations, I prefer it not be eaten. If I use hot glue or stick wire in it, I don't want them to eat it. I have customers that eat gum paste, which I'd prefer they didn't. It really is how you feel about RK and what you tell your customers, not that it can't be eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%