Royal Icing Drop Flowers, Help!

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm by MeliaJ

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 13

I tried making drop flowers (tip 129) last night with royal icing. It wasnt pretty, all but a few look horrible. I am doing them left handed, dont know if that is part of it. But can someone give me some pointers on drop flowers with royal icing!!

TIA!

Melia

12 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 13

try this maybe it could help or do a search on youtube for a video.
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Drop-Flowers

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 13

I don't think the 129 is slanted, but there are reverse tips for left-handers (same price).
LL

MeliaJ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 13

Ok, I was doing it the way that was posted... is it possible my icing was too stiff?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 13

Yes it is possible yur icing is too stiff. Exactly what is your problem.... what is happening or not happening?
I am a lefty so I can help.....

MeliaJ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 13

the petals are spreading right when twisting my wrist. I'm hoping its just thickness of my icing, what should i be using? i used full strength RI.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 13

I had the same thing to happen with my royal icing - I'm wondering if it needs to be thinned slightly since the instructions say medium consistency buttercream.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 13

If the petals are spreading it sounds like the icing is too thin - not too stiff. The only other thing that could make the petals spread is that you are dragging/moving the tip thru the flower instead of lifting it straight up & away. Does that tip have a nail in the center? It should protrude out of the tip about 1/8 to 1/4". That is to keep the prongs on the tip from being crushed if you exert pressure on them.

MeliaJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 13

I'm sorry, I miss typed, my petals aren't spreading. Must be the thickness. i will thin down what I have left and try again.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 13

I've got to tell you - drop flowers are one thing I could never master, they just don't look right when I do them. So I don't LOL!!! I will cut them out of fondant before I will make drop flowers, of course if I could master them it would be much cheaper and easier icon_smile.gif

I think it is practice more than anything else.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 13

Whether I am using buttercream or royal icing - the icing sticks to the tip and pulls up. I was wondering if I can put cornstarch or powdered sugar on the tip to keep that from happening; anyone tried that or have another suggestion?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 13

You will know if its too hard if you are having too much trouble pressing the flower. But be careful to thin out too much, cause the icing will start to melt and loose it shape.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MeliaJ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Edna, I guess mine was way too stiff, my hand was killing me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%