Milk Vs. Gas....an Odd Comparison!

Lounge By cookingfor5 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm by punkinpie

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 7

As our budget has grown tighter over the past few years and I have been much more frugal about our spending, I notice the oddest thing about milk and gas pricing. In our area they are near the same price. When gas was $3.89 last year, milk was $3.79. When gas went down to $1.99, milk went down to $1.99. Yesterday I bought 5 gallons of milk just because the price was $1.80 and sure enough at the pump I paid $1.71. I buy my milk either at Aldi's or a Store Brand and it makes me laugh because it is usually within ten cents of the price of a gallon of gas.

How is the price comparison throughout the country? I live in Illinois.

6 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

well I can't say I know the price comparison for the whole year, but even as gas has drifted down to 1.80 here in my town in Michigan, milk has stayed up around 3.00 a gallon .. so being the thrifty shopper that I am, I always have my other stores local sale ads and make wal mart do a price match for me .. yes, I am one of those annoying people in line with coupons and sale ads and price matches .. but hey, I gotta do what I gotta do to make my money stretch!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 7

I work at a gas station and I am constantly annoyed by people who believe milk should be cheaper than gas icon_confused.gif . This always confussed me, especially since I live in Wisconsin. Apparently these people don't know any farmers, and have never seen the hard work that goes into it. I usually just tell them to drink gas than since it's cheaper icon_cool.gif .

* sidenote- I am in no way saying that what goes into making oil and gasoline is any less work. But, I think what we put into our bodies and our children should cost more than what we put into our cars.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 7

The funny thing is that income of the farmers does not change as store prices change. I do know dairy farmers, and know their profits often decrease when gas prices increase because of the high costs to their businesses. In many cases the farmers do not get a raise, though the price continues to increase in the stores. I would love to understand how gas and milk prices stay so close to the same price ( again the milk has to be discount brand milk ). I'm not complaining, just find it interesting to watch the prices change weekly and it is easy to compare the price as they are both sold by the gallon.

I would never want to be a dairy farmer either. Working 4 to 8 in the morning and 4 to 8 in the evening is hard work and hard on family life. You cannot take a vacation without finding someone you can trust to run the farm for you while you are gone. Then you have all the other jobs that go into dairy farms. Definitely one of the harder farming lifestyles.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 7

See, you understand farmers since you live in Illinois. Your on the same page as me. But, maybe if we lived in the south, or next to where they drill oil we would have different opinions. But, I can only speak for what I see. icon_wink.gif Yea farmers! icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 7

Milk seems to have stayed pretty constant here. sale prices keep it between 2 and 2.50. I stock up when it's on sale and try to use less when it's not. We're big milk drinkers here

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7

I wish we had cheaper milk. 4 litres is $6.29 Canadian.

6.29 Canadian $ is 5.06 US $

1 US gallon is = 3.785 litres.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%