Do I Need To Get Licensed For Cake Decorator In Virginia???

Business By sunnyrise Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm by bekahzzz

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #31 of 49

i pretty much did as nicciola posted except that i am waiting to hear from the SCC. hopefully i will hear from them as quick as she did. then i have to go down to clerk's office to get my business license ($50) as i've already paid the $35 to the zoning office. if you are going to be sole prop then you have to register the name at our clerk's office for a $10 fee but since i'm going to be llc they said i only register with the SCC. no customer's can pick up cakes from my home and no signage here as well.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #32 of 49

If you only do shortening only frosting and virtually no fillings, you can get away with that. Personally, I like to keep everything in the fridge (even shortening only BC when I make that), plus I really want to offer a variety of products, so I am getting inspected.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #33 of 49

I didn't even think about the advantage of being licensed that pinkpiggie mentioned...You can deduct your business expenses of you're a business. If you're an LLC you have to keep your personal and business money entirely separate, so you'll need a business checking account. It's amazing how much extra money you'll realize that you have once you stop paying for cake stuff with personal money icon_redface.gif

cas17 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

If you only do shortening only frosting and virtually no fillings, you can get away with that. Personally, I like to keep everything in the fridge (even shortening only BC when I make that), plus I really want to offer a variety of products, so I am getting inspected.

last fall i called dept of agr and filled out paper work in their packet, typed up all my recipes, sent that in and they called me a couple weeks later to make an appt for my inspection which occured last november, passed with her only writing down that i needed teflon coated light bulbs in the fan/light over my kitchen table icon_confused.gif

i do shortening bc as well as cream cheese and some perishable fillings so guess that's why i needed an inspection? i didn't know you could sell cakes without one? i know that i don't need labels except she said on my low sugar cake that since i was making the claim i had to back it up with a list of ingredients that i type up for the customer.

costumeczar i'm look forward to that extra money icon_biggrin.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #35 of 49

I believe that is correct cas17. I didn't really look into it, because I want to sell pies, pumpkin rolls, etc, in addition to cakes.

On an unrelated note, anyone on this thread going to the NCACS?

cas17 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #36 of 49

"On an unrelated note, anyone on this thread going to the NCACS?"

i wish!! have a previous commitment that i am unable to reschedule : (

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:55am
post #37 of 49

What's the NCACS? which I'm sure is another silly question...lol.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:24am
post #38 of 49

National capital area cake show

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:59am
post #39 of 49

when and where is it? Please and thank you

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #40 of 49

March 21-22 in Burke, VA

http://www.cakeshow.org/

momvarden Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm
post #41 of 49

I found it. march 21-22 in dc area

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:15pm
post #42 of 49

Didn't mean to hijack the thread... just thought since everyone on this thread was from VA, I would see if anyone was going. This is my first year attending.

momvarden Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #43 of 49

pink, i am happy that you said something i am in the hampton area and would love to go to this if i can. I don't think i will enter anything though. Maybe next year. Where are you coming from ......?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #44 of 49

Definately not entering anything... maybe next year... I am just taking some classes and checking out the vendors. I live in Fredericksburg, so it will be a fun drive on Sat and Sun..

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #45 of 49

Oh man! I would love to go to that! I've been trying to plan a trip to visit family up there...but that week-end is the week-end we're planning my son's birthday party. Now I'm really sad...I'll have to look for it next year.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #46 of 49

I'm thinking about it! I'm in Roanoke, so it would be a 4 hr drive for me each way....erk....and there's no way for me to spend the night

pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:46pm
post #47 of 49

I hope to see some CCers there!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #48 of 49

Hi! Hope to see you at the the show! I think there are several of us going- I believe we have decided to all wear purple ribbons so we will know who is from CC- so be sure and stick one on. I will actually be competing in the My Flower Garden live competition on Sunday!! icon_biggrin.gif

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm
post #49 of 49

I think I will be going. I have a friend there that I will staying with fortunately. I think I'm just going for Sat. though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%