Help And Suggestions Please!

Decorating By ChelleK73 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 2:21am by ChelleK73

ChelleK73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleK73 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 9

Let me begin by saying how addicted I am to this site! I have spent months and hours on these forums and feel like I know a lot of you already. You are a fantastic group of people! icon_biggrin.gif

I am new at cake decorating and have only been doing it for a few months. I'm teaching myself and having a blast!

My niece's birthday is in a few weeks and I've been planning her cake for awhile now. What I want to do is bake a cake in my 11x16 pan. Then I want to cut it into a number 2. Here are my questions...

I want to make a strawberry cake or try the WASC cake (never had it) with a strawberry cheesecake filling. Do I use the full WASC recipe for the size pan I'm going to use?

Anytime I've ever tried to ice a cut cake I have major crumb issues on the cut part. If I first freeze it and then put on a crumb coat will it be ok? Will the cheesecake filling freeze ok? Do I let it thaw uncovered on the counter and then decorate it? Between the filling and thawing it out I'm afraid of weeping...the cake not me LOL! I have no idea what to do! icon_sad.gif

Good grief who would have thought trying to decide on and create the perfect cake could be so stressful.

Sorry for such a long post and such silly questions!
icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 9

I can't help with the quantity of batter you'll need. You will find it easier to carve a frozen cake, it makes a neater cut. And, then apply the crumb coat, allow the cake to crust over before you apply your fondant or icing. You'll get a pretty, clean cake. HTH

ChelleK73 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your reply!

Ok that makes sense! But once I cut it can I put my filling in it while it's still frozen so I can crumb coat it? I'm seriously starting to confuse myself LOL.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 9

Ditto, what lapazlady told you to do. To fill, I would first cool my baked cake , remove from the pan and finsh cooling on the counter. Then chill well in fridge. When chilled, torte your cake (cut the layer in half horizontally) remove the top half. Add your filling top bottom half, (don't forget to pipe a damn around the edge or your filling will ooze out) then return the top half. Then freeze your cake for an hour or so. Then cut our your shape an crumb coat your cake. Hope that makes sense. Most of all have fun with it.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 9

Oh, and the recipie for WASC is enough for a 12"x18" cake so you have plenty with one recipie, with a little left over. I usually over fill a bit so I can level easier.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 9

Use a cookie pan (18x12 if you have one) with no sides to help remove the top when you torte the cake.

ChelleK73 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for all the help! I have been so excited to make this cake and if it turns out I'll post a picture! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 9

.........if it turns out I'll post a picture!.......

NO, you will post a pix no matter what icon_smile.gif We can help if there are problems and we can adore it if it is perfecticon_smile.gif

ChelleK73 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #9 of 9

LOL Kakeladi! I will post a picture. It's in another month so I have plenty of time to practice. I think I've changed my mind about cutting it into a 2 though. I looked at my pan and it seems to me if I cut it, there won't be a lot of room left for decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%