"road F Life" Carving Help

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm by kakeladi

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

I have an lady that wants a "Road of Life" cake next month. Can anyone give me some pointers on how the road is carved up the cake? I've looked at tons of pics, just not sure how it's done.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

4 replies
jammjenks Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

This is how I did the 5-tier spiral in my gallery. It seems harder than it really is.

1. Bake and stack each two layer cake as separate cakes on their own cake circles.

2. Start with the bottom tier. Put the next tier on top and mark the circle with toothpicks, then lift off and set aside.

3. When marking off the cake for the spiral cut, the top starting point will be directly above the bottom end point. Start at the top edge and gradually work your way down going all the way around the cake with your toothpicks. Mine looked like a funny pin-cushion at this point.

4. Using a small knife, start at the top toothpick and spiral all the way down following your toothpicks until you get to the bottom. Youâll need to cut far enough in so that when you make your vertical cuts, your cuts meet.

5.After the spiral is cut, cut down around the circle you traced in the top.
There you have something that looks all wrong, but nevertheless it is right.

6.Repeat these steps until you get to the top.

7.Next, I crumb-coated in the same green that I used for the grass. I didn' crumb coat the road.

8. Dowel and stack with the start/stop points of each tier lined up in the back.

9. Ice the road before you do the grass.

Hope this helps. If you have other issues, just pm me.

MacsMom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

3. When marking off the cake for the spiral cut, the top starting point will be directly above the bottom end point. Start at the top edge and gradually work your way down going all the way around the cake with your toothpicks. Mine looked like a funny pin-cushion at this point.

4. Using a small knife, start at the top toothpick and spiral all the way down following your toothpicks until you get to the bottom. Youâll need to cut far enough in so that when you make your vertical cuts, your cuts meet.

5.After the spiral is cut, cut down around the circle you traced in the top.
There you have something that looks all wrong, but nevertheless it is right.

6.Repeat these steps until you get to the top.

THANK YOU thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 5

EEEEKKKS! That sounds a little confusing, but it may be more clear after reading it a few more times without a 2 year old squealing in my earicon_wink.gif

Thanks Jammjenks! I also just read the thread about your cupcakes, they are so beautiful! Will have to try that soon.

If I cant' get it figured out w/ the instructions, I will pm you. THanks again!

kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

If you need/want a small version I have a grad cake in my photos that used a horseshoe pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%