Creating The Look Of Varnished Wood

Decorating By Pegushga Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm by tammy712

Pegushga Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 3

My sister-in-law was very impressed with my fondant creations and asked me to make a violin for her aunt's cake. The aunt is a concert violinist. I always get way too into what could be simple. I mixed several colors of fondant and rolled until it had the appearance of wood grain swirls. I then let the fondant stiffen to nearly leather hard and cut the pieces for a hollow three dimensional violin. It looked quite real.

Here's the question. Is there a recipe for putting a sugar gloss/varnish on fondant? I wanted to give the violin a varnished look. I boiled sugar, water and red food coloring for the varnish. It lookedfantastic, but it remained slightly sticky. Is that because of the moisture that was still in the fondant?

The violin strings were made of hot hardcandy stage sugar that was pulled while hot. Those sagged in route to California from Seattle. None the less, I understand the violin was a huge hit and taken along by the aunt to be placed on multiple cakes as several parties were given.

2 replies
adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 3

I sounds fantastic. I don't know anything about sugar, but I would love to see a photo of your piece.

tammy712 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 3

Hi here is a link for an edible varnish.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-Edible-Varnish.html

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%