Help! Black Rtr Icing.....

Decorating By miscue Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm by miscue

miscue Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone used black rtr icing? I am in the process of using it - but it's so sticky! And I just want to do a flat piece of icing, but no matter what I do it seems to either stick to my rolling pin or the bench!
I've used cocoa to try and get it a little on the dryer side, but still sticks.
I've used normal corn flour, as I usually would with any other colour icing, but it still sticks.

I'm so frustrated! Need the cake by tomorrow.

3 replies
Malakin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 4

Remind us again, what's RTR?

Malakin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 4

My guess, is that if it is fondant, rolled fondant? I NEVER have any luck with rolling out black dyed fondant. It always seems sticky, oily, messy, cracks. Everytime I have tried to dye the icing with black it has never worked. Whenever I used chocolate ready to foll fondant and added some black it never worked either, so I always buy the white and airbrush from now on. I never would have thought an airbrush would be so worth it but just with the black color alone, it has saved me a tremendous amount of time and worry.

miscue Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 4

yeah, it's black fondant - or ready to roll icing(RTR).

You hit the nail on the head with your description of it - sticky, oily, messy - exactly!
I ended up adding heaps of icing sugar to it, and just took it really slow and rolled it out very carefully. And in the end it turned out to be okay, because it didnt harden for ages, and I got the chance to make it look better once it was on the cake.
Lesson learned though, I won't be using it again. icon_smile.gif
Maybe one day I can get an airbrush......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%