How In The World???

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 12:04am by -K8memphis

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone. How in the world do you get all these heavy royal icing roses to stay on this cake???? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif
LL

10 replies
jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 11

Are you sure they're royal? They look more like gumpaste to me, although I am far from an expert. icon_smile.gif I

f they're gumpaste, they might be on wires, or (whether they're gumpaste or royal) they might just be "glued" on with royal icing...which makes the vines and leaves. That stuff can really secure decorations to cakes!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 11

The top ones are probably secured to a styrofoam half ball.... then the cascade is not as heavy as you'd think...and actually, royal icing flowers are lighter weight than gumpaste, I personally think....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 11

The only roses I see are sitting on the ledge safe & secure.

See the green lily on the left that is sticking into the 2nd tier from the bottom? See how it's kinda at an angle so it looks like it's weight is distributed properly to hold it into the side of the cake. Plus each flower that goes up the side is resting a bit on the flowers that are sitting beneath it too and all supported by the ones on the ledge too.

It's a butterceam cake so the icing helps hold them on too.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 11

I think that they are RI flowers, and I would guess that they might have toothpicks or wires to help hold them on the sides.
if it was on fondant, I would think that you could glue them with RI, but seeing how it's BC, toothpicks or wire would help.

hopefully the traditional cake decorator experts can help!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 11

Little dollops of icing behind each flower then leaves or other items (smaller flowers) in buttercream added to help secure each flower as you go...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 11

I came back to add what JenWhitlock added (not knowing you'd done so already of course)....some of the flowers can be secured to toothpicks/skewers with royal icing after they're dried.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 11

Over on sweetdreams years ago, a woman told us that she used Popsicle sticks like stair steps to hold roses in her garlands. I'm not sure, but I think she broke them in half. I do remember her saying that she really needed to use very few of them.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Over on sweetdreams years ago, a woman told us that she used Popsicle sticks like stair steps to hold roses in her garlands. I'm not sure, but I think she broke them in half. I do remember her saying that she really needed to use very few of them.

That's me. icon_biggrin.gif

It works best for fresh piped flowers.
But would work with pushing the stick/s in the cake, pipe a blob of icing onto the stick then set the dried flower in that.

<highfive> Somebody's got a good memory!!! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 11

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives... (Blazing Saddles)

7yyrt: My mind is full of chunks and bits that stick into it from time to time, like Rocky Road. LOL

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #11 of 11

Rocky Road sounds good!!

My mind is like a box full of scraps of string too short to use.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%