Ganache Under Fondant?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm by MissRobin

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 5

What are your thoughts on using ganache rather than buttercream under fondant?

Does it work? Would it give you a smoother finish with sharper edges?

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:54am
post #2 of 5

Hi, yes it works. Planet Cake in Australia use it on all their cakes. You need to roll out the fondant really thin and you get a really smooth finish. But you have to get the ganache very smooth, otherwise its going to show once you put the fondant on. Here are two video clips that shows covering a ganached cake, and one is from Planet Cake.

http://vodpod.com/watch/689546-video-how-to-cover-a-cake-with-fondant?pod=cakesandmore

http://vodpod.com/watch/988955-covering-a-square-cake-with-fondant?pod=cakesandmore

You can see how smoothe cake is, before covering it with fondant.

HTH.

ceatza05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceatza05 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:50am
post #3 of 5

Very good videos, thanks for posting.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 5

I wish they would show how they ice it with ganache first. I tried their technique and it was a mess. I was still able to cover the cake with fondant but it was so stressful. Maybe I did something wrong. Their ganache seems like it set really well. mine wasn't runny, it was spreadable but once i laid the fondant over it i couldn't handle it the way that girl in the video was.

does it need to be frozen?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

I wish they would show how they ice it with ganache first. I tried their technique and it was a mess. I was still able to cover the cake with fondant but it was so stressful. Maybe I did something wrong. Their ganache seems like it set really well. mine wasn't runny, it was spreadable but once i laid the fondant over it i couldn't handle it the way that girl in the video was.

does it need to be frozen?

I love covering cakes with ganache when using fondant. What works best for me is spreading the ganache on and getting it really smooth, then put it in fridge and let it set really well, then before I apply the fondant, I bring it to room temp and it is very sturdy, not sticky at all, then I flash freeze (per Sugarshack), while rolling out the fondant and then apply. Everytime I use ganache, I catch my self saying, "I love this stuff", it is just so nice to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%