Global Art Catalog?

Decorating By luv2bake6 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:51am by missyd4e

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 25

Hi.
I'd love it if you could come up with a printed catalog to send in the mail. I'm usually a better shopper while sitting on the couch thumbing through catalogs than sifting through PDFs.
Is this a possibility?

24 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 25

I agree. A hard copy catalog would be terrific. I like to sit and look everything over and compare items. You can't do that with an online catalog and I don't like to waste all of my paper and printer ink printing the pages that I want. I want to look at everything!

I realize that it is supposed to be more cost effective for the company but it would be more convenient for your cusotmers. I would probaby order more if I could sit and take my time looking at all of the items that Global Art offers.

Some companies charge a dollar or two to get a hard copy catalog. Global Art could do the same. This would eliminate some of the people who are not serious about ordering from them.

What do you say Global Art?

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 25

We actually made a catalog in 2007 and put it in PDF file on the homepage. It is still here but VERY outdated at this time. We brought 50 CD's with the .pdf catalog to ICES last year and only three people took them. Everyone else said if it was not printed, they didn't want it.

So here is the deal. We estimate our new catalog would be well over 300 pages (2 sided) and would cost about $10.00 to print & bind and another $5 to mail. This is in black and white. Color would be about $25.00 total. We do not feel anyone would buy the catalog.

Let me know your thoughts.
Alan

Peridot Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 25

Alan,

So you are saying that the consumer would have to pay $25 for a full color catalog. I would think that the expense of this catalog would be under your company's advertising/marketing expense. I can see and would pay $5 for the postage. I recently paid $3 for postage for another cake decorating catalog and didn't have a problem with that. It is a convenience for me to be able to sit and browse and not deal with the on-line version - jumping from this page to that page.

As far as not many people picking up the pdf catalog on CD's - to me that is the same on on-line.

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 25

I love the online ease BUT we have a mondo super fast internet connection and I can whip through page after page while most people are still waiting on page 1 to load. Anyone with a dial up or a slow connection can get frustrated quickly.

The question for me from a purely business standpoint is where is the break even point on selling these. How many do you have to sell in order to cover the cost? Is it then worth it?

Side note: My hubby nearly had a heart attack when we were first married because I sat down with a pen and a stack of catalogs and started marking everything I wanted. Who was going to pay for all of this?! Alas, all I do is mark the stuff that I think is great then come back later and decide if it is a necessity. If so, then I buy it. Kinda like a visual wish list.

Maybe the wish list needs to be promoted on the GSA website as a tool for catalog lovers.

AlanT Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 25

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue. I have gotten quotes to have the catalog professionally printed and I am still looking at $12.00 per copy plus shipping. The catalog would be outdated in less then 3 months at the rate we are adding new products.

I agree that using the Wishlist would be the smartest way to shop. That is why we installed it on the website. I cannot see GSA printing a complete catalog in the near future. Sorry! Alan

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 25

Hi Alan,

I love your wishlist section. Now if it could only have categories such as:

1. Items needed immediately
2. Items needed for upcoming orders
3. Items I really really really want
4. Items I really really want
5. Items I order on a regular basis

icon_biggrin.gif Think you could do it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jo-Ann icon_razz.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 25

Wow...I never even thought about having a printed catalog from GSA! I have always used the wish list and never found it inconvenient (but I am an online shopper to the heart so I like it, I too sit on my couch...just with my laptop)!! Joi De Vivre Alan!!! Tywana (Joi Cakes)

AlanT Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 25

Jo-Ann-you're killing me icon_smile.gif I will talk with my webmaster and see what is involved. We may have to eliminate the "Items I really really really want".

Anyway-I have been doing some serious thinking about this catalog and I will proceed with it. We will come up with some way to offer catalogs to regular customers at a fair price. Just remember, they will only be updated 2x a year.

I'll keep you posted because this is a lengthy job to get done.
Alan

Peridot Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 25

Hi Alan,

I did print the pdf catalog from the website earlier this week but after I printed all 150 some pages - there were no prices on the products.

I am glad that you are seriously thinking about doing the catalog. I just placed my first order which was over $100 with Global Sugar Art this week and I placed it by phone as I had so many questions about the products and was having a hard time finding what I wanted on-line. The bad thing about that is now this website (CakeCentral) does not get credit for this order.

Even if I have the catalog I can place the order on-line. The catalog will help me find the item I am looking for with greater ease.

As far as the catalog not staying "current" with new products. One can always look on-line under the new products category if we are in desperate need of something new and we can't wait until the new catalog comes out.

One thing that might be helpful in the catalog regarding cutters & veiners - stating what is compatible with each other might be helpful to those of us who are not experienced veterans in cake decorating. As I was always told that getting a set was the thing to do.

Thanks again Alan for seriously checking into this.

luv2bake6 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 25

I completely agree with everyone. I find it very time consuming going through the entire website to see what is being offered when i can relax in bed or on the couch and physically mark what i want.

Also, catalogs often have instructions or photos of how to use specific items for us newbies to decorating. I just got 2 huge catalogs (for free) from wholesale places and each have instructions and info on what everything is and how to use them. There were many products on your site that i don't recognize or know what they are and would therefore not order.

You certainly don't have to worry about the catalogs not being updated cuz i would go to the new products to see what's there. At least the basics with more info would be there.

Some things to think about.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 25

I agree that a printed catalog would be MUCH better. I have around 5 catalogs for various things that I do carry with me in a briefcase. None are cake related and I have spent between $75 and $350 from each already. I would just add this to the others and mark what I wanted. I would totally pay for shipping.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #13 of 25

oops I have ordered from you before and never knew there was a way for CC to get credit.

can you explain how that works?

thank you

ps my order came so fast and I was able to track it and be home to receive it. love your customer service

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #14 of 25

hey, there are other cake sites that you can order and pay for a catalog... I've never ordered one because I'm cool with looking online. BUT one time I placed a big order and I got a free catalog in the box, it was nice to sit on the couch and flip through.

So, maybe you could do it that way, pay full price ($25 or whatever) up until you spend a certain amount of $$, then it's discounted or comes in a shipment, saves extra shipping... I don't know.

AlanT Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:52am
post #15 of 25

As I stated in an earlier post, we are pursuing our catalog. It will take a few months to complete and then it will be available for all customers.

Please remember, we are not a multi-million dollar company that can afford to print 10,000+ catalogs and give them away with every order. We are a small company with 10 employees trying to get through a rough economy like everyone else. I promise I will do the best I can to provide catalogs at a reasonable price. Alan

luv2bake6 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 25

Thanks so much. It's all we can ask for.
BTW, i made my first order on Tuesday afternoon and got my order today!! That's the fastest i've ever recieved an order. Kudos to you and your team for a great shopping experience. Thanks!!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #17 of 25

what if you did it like JC penneys does it. They have the catalog available for purchase and then inside the catalog you recieve a coupon/gift certificate for so much off your first catalog purchase. So lets say you did the full color catalog and charged $20 bucks for it (including shipping). Then you include a coupon for $10.00 of your first order of $10.00 or more. chances are you will get orders more than 10.00 so this does two things...gives you more business and makes the customer feel like they got a deal. I am a true penny pincher(a coupon or sale for everyhting i buy) and I would be willing to do that...even better if you gave a $20.00 coupon off of an order 100.00 or more option on there. you may give the catolog out for free in the short run but in the long run you will increase your sales. and just think about ll the people who DONT use the coupon... they paid 20 bucks for a catolog so who cares!

another thoought. Make it a subscription. do an upfront yearly price at a discount or with a larger coupon value (of two seperate discount or one with each catalog)... you could even do one large catologe with "updates" on new items in 2 or 3 mailings a year more like magazine size vs cataloge style. that could be a good subscription insentive....

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 25

Just an idea...you could print a smaller catalog comprised of your most popular and newest items, then update quarterly (or less). Then we could have a hard copy of what's new and hot, but we also know to go to the website for the whole selection. I get a catalog like this from another web-based company and it is really nice to have.
BTW...I just placed my first order today and I am so excited to get it. Thanks for your great customer service.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Hi.
I'd love it if you could come up with a printed catalog to send in the mail. I'm usually a better shopper while sitting on the couch thumbing through catalogs than sifting through PDFs.
Is this a possibility?

I agree!

margauxt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margauxt Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #20 of 25

I would love to have a global sugar arts catalog. I have paid for catalogs and then they gave me a coupon for the price of the catalog to go toward my next order. icon_eek.gif

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #21 of 25

Alan,

I agree with PP about having a catalog posting your newer items and most popular.... Most of us should know what you DO have to offer, but new items would be a good thing to print up and maybe a handful of your most popular items... You could even do a spotlight of an item which has received fantastic reviews and its versatility? I love catalogs, I'm a dork. I love sugar arts!

I could direct you to a person who would be happy to help you in the design of the catalog too. I agree, economic times right now are super tough. We all need to help each other out. =)

Thank you for providing us with such fantastic products!!! <3

=D

tiney101kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiney101kk Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #22 of 25

a catalog would be great

nasty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nasty Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #23 of 25

I love Global Sugar Art. I would gladly pay $25 for a catalog. I'm a true mail order shopper!!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #24 of 25

I agree with things previously said. I as well order from GSA and it would be so great to sit down and look through a catalog then sit in front of my computer. I would like to mark the things I would like and then order online. Not look through the entire GSA website and then order. I don't know if that makes sence or not. I know what I'm trying to say! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #25 of 25

I would pay $25 for your catalog in a heart beat. Please make a post at CC when it is available so I can order it! Thank you for looking in to this again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%