Cake Too Heavy For Mousse Filling???

Decorating By Sadrienne Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:41am by step0nmi

Sadrienne Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a 12 inch square 4 inch high chocolate cake, and it's a fairly dense recipe (it's the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe from this website)

The cake will be refrigerated until serving, so the mouse should be fairly firm for mousse, but I wanted to know if you thought that cake recipe will be so heavy it will squish the mousse out - the layers will be about an inch and a half I think - three layers total.

please tell me what you think, I need to know as soon as possible

Thank you so much for your help!!

5 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

This is a good question...I've never even considered that some cakes would be too heavy for any filling except fresh fruit... I use (2) 2" layers for my tiers so I'm anxious to hear others' thoughts on this...

Tammi

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 6

I would think if you are using a stiff icing dam and a good support system you shouldn't have a problem.

step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

wow! 3-inch and a half layers!? that's really thick! unless you mean that you will have 2-inch and a half layers and then you are going to cut those in half and have three layers of filling? I think that's what you mean...if you are doing it that way then they may just be thin enough not to squish out the filling. but, when I do the filling that way I do it sort of thin since they are getting more layers of filling to equal one big layer.

does that make sense? sorry

Sadrienne Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6

actually, it will probably be (three) one-inch layers of cake (i thought if the cake layers were not too thick it wouldn't squish too much)

Maybe like a third of an inch layer of mousse each time?

or is that too thick?

step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrienne

actually, it will probably be (three) one-inch layers of cake (i thought if the cake layers were not too thick it wouldn't squish too much)

Maybe like a third of an inch layer of mousse each time?

or is that too thick?

oh! you can do that too...then you're only going to have 2 layers of filling.

the traditional way of doing what I was talking about is called torte. basically when you make a 2" layer of cake is when you get to cut them in half to have a 1" layer of cake and then that allows you the three layers of filling.

but, you can do it your way too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%