Cake Too Heavy For Mousse Filling???

Decorating By Sadrienne Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:41am by step0nmi

Sadrienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sadrienne Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a 12 inch square 4 inch high chocolate cake, and it's a fairly dense recipe (it's the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe from this website)

The cake will be refrigerated until serving, so the mouse should be fairly firm for mousse, but I wanted to know if you thought that cake recipe will be so heavy it will squish the mousse out - the layers will be about an inch and a half I think - three layers total.

please tell me what you think, I need to know as soon as possible

Thank you so much for your help!!

5 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

This is a good question...I've never even considered that some cakes would be too heavy for any filling except fresh fruit... I use (2) 2" layers for my tiers so I'm anxious to hear others' thoughts on this...

Tammi

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 6

I would think if you are using a stiff icing dam and a good support system you shouldn't have a problem.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

wow! 3-inch and a half layers!? that's really thick! unless you mean that you will have 2-inch and a half layers and then you are going to cut those in half and have three layers of filling? I think that's what you mean...if you are doing it that way then they may just be thin enough not to squish out the filling. but, when I do the filling that way I do it sort of thin since they are getting more layers of filling to equal one big layer.

does that make sense? sorry

Sadrienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sadrienne Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6

actually, it will probably be (three) one-inch layers of cake (i thought if the cake layers were not too thick it wouldn't squish too much)

Maybe like a third of an inch layer of mousse each time?

or is that too thick?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrienne

actually, it will probably be (three) one-inch layers of cake (i thought if the cake layers were not too thick it wouldn't squish too much)

Maybe like a third of an inch layer of mousse each time?

or is that too thick?

oh! you can do that too...then you're only going to have 2 layers of filling.

the traditional way of doing what I was talking about is called torte. basically when you make a 2" layer of cake is when you get to cut them in half to have a 1" layer of cake and then that allows you the three layers of filling.

but, you can do it your way too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%