Edible Images On Ebay

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:14am by SueW

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 11

We talk about how we can't reproduce copyrighted images and sell to a customer; not even printing on edible paper. So my question is how can so many people on eBay have so many different designs to sell to people clearly using copyrighted images?

I have thought about this before and maybe this has been previously discussed (I searched, didn't find a thing) - but was just wondering how are all of these sellers able to do this? Is it just a matter of them taking a chance at not getting caught?

Thoughts?

10 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 11

there are liscensed edible images available for sale in bulk from sites like www.lucks.com ...
So, it's safe to assume at least *some* of the sellers are doing so legally by buying in bulk and reselling.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 11

True and agreed. I went onto eBay today to see what kind of edible images were out there for a cake for my nephew and it brought back that question I had thought about but never asked. It is clear that there are so many images that are obviously not really supposed to be there... icon_wink.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 11

Isn't it OK to buy these images to use on cakes you are not selling? I assumed that is what most people are saying, that they are buying for personal use not to sell. Does that make sense?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

Isn't it OK to buy these images to use on cakes you are not selling? I assumed that is what most people are saying, that they are buying for personal use not to sell. Does that make sense?

Yes, but it's still illegal for the person who is selling them on eBay UNLESS they have obtained the license to do so!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 11

My question is: How can you be sure they are actually edible? I mean anybody can just print an image on rice paper and call it edible.

Shoot I did one the other night for my retro TV cake (for a friend, not for sale) with an image of Green Acres on it--on my regular printer! I didn't want to spend $15 bucks to get it printed with edible ink since we weren't going to eat that part anyway. I placed it on a piece of fondant, attached it to the cake, and peeled it off before serving it.

They have edible gold leaf on Ebay too, very cheap! But is it really edible gold? How would you know?

karenm0712 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:48am
post #8 of 11

Melvira - my point exactly. icon_smile.gif

Tinygoose - good thought too! I didn't even think about that!

I have to say that I do appreciate being able to purchase these items (man I really need to get edible ink for my printer) - but was just curious about the sellers on eBay.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

Melvira - my point exactly. icon_smile.gif

Tinygoose - good thought too! I didn't even think about that!

I have to say that I do appreciate being able to purchase these items (man I really need to get edible ink for my printer) - but was just curious about the sellers on eBay.

I think the issue is getting a printer that takes edible ink cartridges, but let me know if you know a way around that.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #10 of 11

Yah, I'm not sure that's a chance I'd want to take. That's why I have my own set up. I'm funny like that. icon_rolleyes.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

Yes, but it's still illegal for the person who is selling them on eBay UNLESS they have obtained the license to do so!

ohhhhhhhhh, I get it now, thanks Melvira!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%