Glossy Finish On Edible Image?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 1:50pm by cakelady15

mrswendel Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I have a cake to do this weekend that will have a gumpaste CD as the topper. It will have an edible image of the girl as the CD cover. How do I get a glossy finish on the edible image? I have seen a few threads about edible varnish, but I am wondering if the heat from the varnish would damage the edible image. Any suggestions?

7 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 8

i would think the color would run? sorry i can't help.

2txmedics Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 8

Hi, hope this helps...its here under recipes I believe....

Serves/Yields: 1/8 cup
Prep. Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Category: Southern U.S.
Difficulty: Easy

It can be used when needing a glassy like appearance on fondant. (ie a windshield like on this car
It dries to a shine. I have doulbed, tripled with no problem.

1 tsp gelatin
3 tsp water (out of tap)
1 tsp liquid glucose ( I used corn syrup)

Sprinkle gelaitn in the water. Let stand until it becomes spongy.
Dissolve until clear over hot, not boiling water.
Add liquid glucose/corn syrup and stir until ingredients are well combined.
Pour into an airtight container. The mixture will become hard/stiff.

To use it, heat the varnish in a container of hot, not boiling water.
Paint onto item to be vanished while mixture is still hot.
Source: pinkbox

chanielisalevy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 8

I recently made this exact recipe (3 weeks ago) and the leftovers are in a tightly covered container and they are still a thick liquid. Meaning, that if your edible image is dry I see no reason why you can't brush on some of the liquid unheated onto the image! I have used this varnish for a few different effects on several projects and have not yet had to reheat it to bring it to a liquid state as it hasn't hardened yet. However once I paint it on, within 1/2 hour or som it hardens up to a nice shine, Good luck!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #5 of 8

and this is edible? .

i mean not by the spoonful but if someone eats it.. its ok?

chanielisalevy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:36am
post #6 of 8

Of course! It's only corn syrup, unflavored jello and water! I wasn't actually sure if unflavored colorless jello was the same thing as gelatin. I bake strictly kosher and don't use actual gelatin but I used unflavored off brand jello and had excellent results (maybe that's why my leftovers don't harden?) not sure but still a desirable outcome. Quite edible!

mrswendel Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 8

thanks everyone. I was worried about putting warm onto the edible image since I figured the colours would run (or the image would disintegrate!) The image is larger than what I need so I have to trim down the excess...I'll do a trial with your recipe chanielisalevy since it doesn't have to be heated. Thanks!

cakelady15 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 8

I have put liquids on top of edible images before (not warm) and it wasn't pretty. The instant that anything wet touches my dry edible images the colors run. It's just ink on sugar paper basically so it would be like dropping water on notebook paper that you wrote on. We all know how that turns outicon_smile.gif If this recipe works though I would love to know. I'm not really sure you can put anything wet on them though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%