Help! What's The Going Rate?

Decorating By KristaK Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 12:03am by BakingGirl

KristaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristaK Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 11

I've just had a bride call and ask about individual cakes for her wedding. What's the going rate for these? I'd have to order the pans and I don't know how much batter they hold, etc. I've made them before but at a previous location so I didn't have to worry about cost as I was just a worker.

TIA

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 11

The decorators around here are getting between $80 and $100 per table and these are just dinky little cakes for the tables. The cakes are something like 3, 2 and 1 inch stacked or something similar to that (very small.) Now what your market will bear is another story, the economy is hitting everyone in different ways. Hope that at least gives you a starting point. icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 11

I haven't done them before, but I would just charge your regular per serving rate and then double delivery - because you are going to need alot of space. I would also consider adding a 10-15% materials fee, because you're going to be using more materials (cardboards, etc...) than you would if you just made one big cake. The per serving rate would be based on how many servings they are getting not how many they are needing.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 11

Are you talking about individual cakes per person or a centerpiece cake per table?

Edited to add link:

http://www.carriescakes.com/cakes.php

Here's a link that has some mini as well as centerpiece cakes on it with prices. She's located in Utah.

Maybe that will help you out. Mini cakes per person are very time consuming so you cannot charge per serving fee. It will take you a really long time to do them. Also perhaps it would be easier for you to get some cake rings or biscuit cutters (or something like that) that you can use to cut your cakes from a larger cake. That might speed up the process and you don't have to buy a whole bunch of pans.

KristaK Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Are you talking about individual cakes per person or a cake per table?

It would be 2" round individual cakes for each person with fondant.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry I got busy with the kids so it took me a while to get back in hit submit.

I haven't done these myself but from reading other posts I think depending on the area I recall reading somewhere between $15-20. I can't remember if they were 2" or 3" but I can't see that making to much of a difference.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 11

The price I quoted is for a small tiered cake as a centerpiece that will feed everyone at the table.

KristaK Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

The price I quoted is for a small tiered cake as a centerpiece that will feed everyone at the table.

I did figure that one out icon_smile.gif I have done these before and they seem like a better choice then making 200 mini cakes. Thanks for the help.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I did figure that one out icon_smile.gif I have done these before and they seem like a better choice then making 200 mini cakes. Thanks for the help.

Good! You just never know these days... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 11

4 years ago I paid $10 per cake and they were only 2 tier (individual, buttercream with a tiny gumpaste flower), in Georgia - they were awesome and I'm so glad that I ordered them! They were the hit of the party!!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #11 of 11

I'd say at least $10 per cake. It is going to take you a long time to cover 200 individual cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%